Screaming all night long. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Screaming all night long.

We just brought our 8 week old Haru home 2 days ago. We are crate training and she sleeps in our room. We tire her out so she sleeps sound about 2 hours, then wakes up around 1-2am and screams until 6am. We let her out when she first screams to go outside, but nothing more. No pets, no playing. As advised we don't encourage the screaming at all, and only respond when she is quiet. I know there is always separation anxiety, but I'm wondering how long this will last. No one has slept in my house for days, and I'm afraid my neighbors may call the police. *I am giving them a gift package of earplugs and wine today as a small consolation* Does anyone have similar experiences or advice on what to do? Or what not to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

Is the crate right next to your bed or off in a corner? I've always had success with the crate right next to me.

Is she peeing every time you bring her out? I'd take away the water 2 hours before it's time to go to sleep and don't give anymore until morning. An 8 week old puppy really can't hold it for more than a couple hours when their bladders are full.

Other than that, it seems like you're doing all the right things. Things should gradually start getting better any day now. My recent puppy was like how you're describing the first couple nights and now basically sleeps through the night without a peep. I did basically everything you're describing, so I'd start to expect better results now for you soon.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Knighted Member

I agree with Lucy Dog.

It should get better. I put my pups crate beside my bed so I could stick a finger through the bars if she got fussy. My pup was awful about crating at first, but she is fantastic now!!

It did get better and it didn't take long, although at the time it felt like an eternity.

PS. You are a good neighbour.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:39 PM Thread Starter

Oh goodness thank you for responding. We live in a 2 story apartment, and there is only one other apartment below us. These are the neighbors I really feel for. They have a small dog that yips all the time, but as I'm sure you all know.. the gut wrenching howls from a German Shepherd puppy are infinitely more epic. She's a total jewel during the day, so we're hoping she gets more comfortable soon. We were wondering if this lasted weeks. Her crate isn't in reaching distance, it's further from the bed. I was afraid if I touched her while she was howling, it would make it worse. This is helpful though? I even thought I would sleep on the floor next to her cage if that would make her feel better. Pretty much willing to do anything to sleep more than an hour ha. Moreover, I don't want to cause her more stress. THANK YOU FOR THE THOUGHTS!
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 02:44 PM
Banned

hahah when i got my pup at 8 weeks i also was afraid of neighbors calling the cops/animal control. its amazing how long they can keep on screaming like they're about to die. i suggest crating her for short periods during the day. google crate games. i also laid in front of the crate until my pup fell asleep for the first few days. took my pup around 4 days to shut up. when im home he gets to sleep wherever he wants so when he does get crated at night he still whines but only for a minute or so.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 03:00 PM
Crowned Member

I wouldn't touch her while she's howling. Either immediately take her out and bring her back in when she's done or completely ignore and let her stop on her own. Touching/petting her is basically rewarding the howling.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
I wouldn't touch her while she's howling. Either immediately take her out and bring her back in when she's done or completely ignore and let her stop on her own. Touching/petting her is basically rewarding the howling.
Yes this is what I assumed as well, although both here and elsewhere I've heard people saying put your fingers in the crate to calm them down. Ha I'm still too scared to try that though. I'd hate to ruin what little (if any) progress we've gained. Thanks again everyone. It's nice to hear our little monster is like others.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 03:06 PM
Crowned Member

Boomer gave some good advice. Do you crate at all during the day? Are you making it a positive place?

I like to feed the puppy in their crates. I'll also throw a treat in there every time I put them in. Make it a positive experience every time they're in it. Let them take naps in there during the day with the door open. Go on youtube and search for "crate games".
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy Dog View Post
Boomer gave some good advice. Do you crate at all during the day? Are you making it a positive place?

I like to feed the puppy in their crates. I'll also throw a treat in there every time I put them in. Make it a positive experience every time they're in it. Let them take naps in there during the day with the door open. Go on youtube and search for "crate games".
Yes! We have been trying this out today, so hopefully it will make a difference for her. We do usually put a treat in there and try to get her to walk in on her own if possible. Or if she's already asleep/napping we transplant her into the crate so she wakes up in there not unhappy sometimes. She does seem to like it in there during the day. When the lights go out it's a different story ha. Thank you again.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 PM
Crowned Member

You're doing all the right things. Some pups just take a little longer to adjust. You should start to see improvements any day now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page