How to stop dog from running in front of you on runs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

How to stop dog from running in front of you on runs

Now that Dex is almost 6 months old , my son wants to take him running on grass for a little bit. Dexter likes to run in front of him and trip him up. How can we train him to run on the side. When walking he does great, but I think running looks like playtime for Dexter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:15 PM

lots of loose leash walking practice. It will take months mine is just starting to improve consistently. 6 months is way too young to run with. may lead to skeletal problems. wait until at least a yr old.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

How's his heeling? Do you guys practice it daily? Does he know that command?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Ok so hes still to young to run? I will keep him walking then.

He heels great when walking, we dont use the command he just does it. Loose leash and when we stop he sits. Im so proud of him. he looks like like a big boy

But when running..oh boy totally different dog, his toungue hangs out, he gets this goofy look on his face, legs all over the place, wants to jump on you and you end up having to stop to prevent from falling over him.

think it could be because I walk him and my son is the running partner?
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:33 PM
Crowned Member

Give the walking heel a command and train that at faster speeds. Heel is position position position. You should be able to run backwards and have the dog hold position.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Crowned Member

A six month old pup should be fine to run on grass. Just don't go crazy with it. When my pups 6 months, he'll definitely be running on grass.

It's a training issue. Just like you taught sit and down, you're going to have to teach heel and faster speeds like michelle mentioned. Have your son work on it with him too.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Thank you this sounds doable. I have not tried walking backwards so I dont know what dexter would do. He would probably turn around and follow me but not move backwards himself . I will work with him on this.

My son usually runs several miles on concrete daily and we know Dexter is not ready. So he doesnt take him. but eventually I would like them to run together.
ever since Dexter hit 5 months he has too much energy even after I walk him (still recovering from broken ankle) that hes up most of the night. I would like to do just a few mins on grass a day in the evening to help tire him out.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:06 PM
Crowned Member

lol...I was just stressing my point on the heel position. You don't really have to walk backwards with him. Teach him the position and then add other movement, faster sideways, around in a circle. It shouldn't matter, if he knows the position he'll maintain it.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
lol...I was just stressing my point on the heel position. You don't really have to walk backwards with him. Teach him the position and then add other movement, faster sideways, around in a circle. It shouldn't matter, if he knows the position he'll maintain it.

Lol, thanks..I was thinking man, I really need to up the obedience hes way behind LOL. would still like to try it now that you mentioned it just to see what he will do. i would like him to heel proper;y anyway. We just joined an obedience club, and even though Dex doesnt have any papers and is from a byb. Id still like to try agility if he seems interested in it when he gets older.

Last edited by Msmaria; 07-10-2013 at 04:33 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-10-2013, 04:36 PM
Crowned Member

Because I like to take the easiest route....I like to start doing a lot of figure 8's when heeling. That gets the pup used to really paying attention to what you are doing and where you are going. It's also eaiser for you to make sure he maintains the correct position.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page