Puppy Classes in Indianapolis? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Puppy Classes in Indianapolis?

Hello Everyone! Our Abby girl is going to be 11 weeks old this week and my husband and I are wanting to find a puppy training class (more for socialization than anything). We are already working on sit, stay, come, down, leave it, and she has been accident free in the house for about a week and a half now and she willingly goes into her crate for naps and even to play on her own, but we would like for her to meet more puppies. She plays with our adult dog and with 3 adult dogs where my husband works, but I think she would benefit from puppy play and more socialization is always good! We are located in Indianapolis and we are pretty far south in Indy, almost in Greenwood. Also, we need a class that meets on Saturdays since that is the only day we have off together and we would like to train her together. I was thinking about just going with petsmart. I know a lot of people do not like them ,but they are close to me and they do have Saturday classes. Any other suggestions or thoughts? I also am considering the Humane Society, but we would not be able to start there for another 3 weeks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 06:00 PM
Crowned Member

If you mean the Humane Society on 79th & Michigan, then I highly recommend it. Connie is a phenomenal trainer, and the only KPA-CPT in Indy (to my knowledge). I took my puppy there for puppy class and thought it was worth it.

If you're willing to drive to Fishers, you might send ponyfarm a PM, as she is a puppy class instructor I'd also highly recommend.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 07:21 PM

I have also used Connie at the Humane Society for some training and recommend her as well but if you are on the south side and want the positive clicker training check out Canines in Action with trainer Laura Baugh (She is also KPA-CPT). I have taken a class with her and she is very good. I don't know her class schedule but she has a website you could check out.

Candie
And my Girls.....
Dallas - ACD mix, 11 yrs
Willow - GSD, 5 yrs, CGC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 AM
Crowned Member

I just finished another certification course with APDT with Robin Herman CPCT, CPDT-KA of Lucky Dog Retreat in Indianapolis. Lucky Dog Retreat, Training
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:31 AM
Crowned Member

Ah yes, I'm friends with Christina- head trainer at Lucky Dog. Awesome person; great trainer. I've never taken a class with her, but I've hung out with her in person a few times and watched her do exhibitions with her dogs. She's currently one of the folks participating in the "Jump! Ultimate Dog Show" with her dogs at the Indy Zoo. She owns a Mal named Viper. I'd definitely take a class with her. Lucky Dog also has a trainer named Stacey who I met just a couple weeks ago at a Disc Dog event; she owns a pretty black Mal and a GSD named Jetta.

I wouldn't mind checking out Lucky Dog myself. I might do some obedience work there with Jinks.

Willy
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Crowned Member

BTW- there are a lot of GSD owner/trainers in Indy.

Connie from the Humane Society has a WL GSD "Condor" (but I can never remember what kennel he's from). She is active in SAR with him and he's a certified cadaver dog. Her husband has a WL GSD from Wildhaus Kennels, but I've never had the pleasure of meeting him yet.

Chrsitina doesn't have a GSD, but has a Mal. And one of her trainer minions, Stacey (LOL!) is a Mal and GSD owner.

Ponyfarm on the forum here is a WL GSD owner and trains at a facility that breeds WL GSDs.

I'm not sure about Laura Baugh at Canines in Action, but as a KPA-CDT, I'm sure she'd be quite good.

Anyway- the point is that there are a lot of trainers in the greater Indy area that have working dog experience! We're quite lucky here!

Willy
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Lucky Dog looks very cool, sadly though it appears they do not offer Friday or Saturday classes and I work evenings Sunday-Thursday so it seems many choices are out for me. I will research the other suggestions here! Thanks again!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:42 PM
Master Member

First Friend in Fishers. There's a place my mom goes off 10th/ College, and she also goes to some training place by Fishers airport (it has an indoor dog pool for dock training).

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kaleef Black Bear Bugatti
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CGC, Advanced Obedience, Intermediate Air Scent Tracking,
650+ trail miles
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 07-09-2013, 08:43 PM
Master Member

Also Bark Tudor in B Ripple has a CPDTKA qualified trainsr

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kaleef Black Bear Bugatti
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CGC, Advanced Obedience, Intermediate Air Scent Tracking,
650+ trail miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page