How much walking/exercise is appropriate for a puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

How much walking/exercise is appropriate for a puppy?

Hello - My husband and I recently adopted a 9 week old German Shepherd, Griz. I'm wondering how much exercise is safe/appropriate/necessary for a German Shepherd pup that age. I was reading a few things on how you must be careful with exercising German Shepherd puppies too much because of potentially overworking developing joints/ligaments, etc... but none of these sources I found were real clear about exactly how much is too much.

So... what's an appropriate amount of exercise for a German Shepherd puppy? When is it appropriate to advance exercise duration/intensity? We've taken him on a few walks around the block in the neighborhood and run him around in the backyard and I just want to make sure we exercise him enough... but not TOO much!

Thanks in advance!

Here's Griz:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Banned

when my pup was 9 weeks old we played in the house and yard.
i don't think i walked him when he was 9 weeks old. after my pup
had his 2nd round of shots i drove him to the woods and we played
around but going to woods was more for socialization because there's
horses, joggers, walkers, runners, birds and dogs in the woods. i started
step training at 10 weeks or 11 weeks old and that was only doing 2
or 3 steps in the begining. i invited a lot of people to visit so my pup
would get use to strangers and being petted and treated by them.
at 9 weeks old i think it's more about socializing then exercising.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 06:02 PM

I think at this age, he'll let you know when he's had enough..

I personally, don't do alot of heavy exercising at this age, I take them for walks, hang out in the backyard, do some tugging, playing, but nothing to strenuous..

You can usually tell when enough is enough..They'll just flop down and won't move

Be careful of the heat,,it is HOT HOT here in CT, and tho my shepherd would hang outside /go for a hike all day long if I asked her, I limit her outside time, it's just to darn hot..

You can't keep them in a bubble, but I try to avoid any jumping, hard surface long walking ,

Congrats on your new puppy soooooo CUTE!

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-07-2013, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, the heat is definitely an important consideration right now. We live in Austin, TX. He tuckers out pretty quick outside and then is immediately ready to play again when I bring him in... so it's a challenge! I want to take him for walks I just want to make sure that I am not asking him to overdo it. When we play in the yard, he'll just stop and lay down in the shade when he's tired, but if we're on a walk he'll pretty much keep going as long as I'm asking him to.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-08-2013, 10:32 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Great hints and tips here ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e-puppies.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 PM

I don't think there's anything wrong with taking a 9 week old puppy on a very short walk but I would not let him interact with any other dogs or people you might encounter along the way. I would politely tell people that he's in training and hopefully they will respect that.
Otherwise I'd just play with him in the yard and teach him that you're the most interesting and fun thing he's going to experience.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-27-2013, 02:43 AM

When Daisy was nine weeks old I just played with her in the yard and house, multiple times throughout the day interspersed with crate time. As she gets older (six months old now) the play times get longer. Now she hikes with me, often doing 2+ miles at a time (that's a lot for this pudgy man!) around lakes, mountains, whathaveyou.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-29-2013, 12:07 AM

Hey everyone! i just brought home a new partner in crime and her name is Sam. I've never had my own GSD before, let alone a pet. She just turned 8 weeks old and i was wondering if now would be a good time to start training her the basic commands such as sit, stay, come etc. Or is it still to early?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page