the give, drop it, out commands - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 09:08 AM Thread Starter

Question the give, drop it, out commands

I'm working with my 10 week old GSD and I'm a little confused with the three commands. I know "give" means to put the toy in my hand from his mouth and "drop it" means to put the toy on the floor. When do I use "out"? I don't want to confuse him when he gets to OB classes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:11 AM
Sri
Master Member

I think out is used when playing tug with your dog. It removes its mouth from the toy and sits. Atleast this is my inference . I have not taught my puppy out yet.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:25 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

With a 10 week puppy I'd make things really easy and fun with lot's of play (which you clearly are) and not muddy future 'real' obedience into the mix right now. I'm not sure the word matters so much for now, cause it's just a word. If later you want to say 'LaLa' and have that mean 'drop it' then if your dog knows the word it's fine.

That said, here's some tips on the progression of training the more formal retrieve (just get thru the old forced 'ear pinch' stuff to the rest of the article).

Teaching Fetch Using Positive Reinforcement Techniques - Whole Dog Journal Article

The Dogs Are Really In Charge: How To: Teach Your Dog to Retrieve!: Clicker Training Journal

For such a young puppy, I'm WAY more into teaching ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html and all the other stuff comes along the way!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Whew! Thanks for all the links. It's going to take a while to read all of them. We are really playing with Wylie: toys and physical exercise and brain games. I'll leave out the formal OB words for now. He met four children yesterday who were in their kiddie pool and riding their scooters. He did really well, happy, friendly and not too land-sharky. We are going to a small outdoor concert tonight.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:38 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

You can use any command you like, but generally people will use either "give", "drop it" or "out", as their cue for the dog to let go of whatever they have.

If you want to do separate commands for putting something in your hand vs dropping it on the ground/floor that's perfectly fine, but there are no hard and fast rules that you have to follow when training your dog.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Elite Member

The first question would be what are your goals? AKC obedience has nothing to do with shutzhund obed. Akc starts early but doesnt mind lazy looking dogs, shutz builds drive before asking for obedience. I like the Micheal Ellis puppy dvds and with training that way you could do great at akc or shutz.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page