Where to start ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Where to start ?

I just got my 3 month old male puppy and don't know where to start I have already enrolled him in a class at the local petco. Where do I start he seems to be a little shy because all he does is sleep at the moment, I tried to walking him today but all he does is stand still and pull. I plan on researching more information on leash training and give it another go tonight. Do you guys have any advice on what training or things I should do with my puppy to get him more active and confortable at his new home. Thanks guys !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 04:24 PM

Congrats on the new pup! There are many things you can do, puppy obedience classes are a good place to start. Once your pup gets a little older into adolescent stage you may want to "upgrade" from a Petco class to something more specific to the breed. A very good overall resource is "The Art of Raising a Puppy" by the Monks of New Skete. Also start working on socialization right away!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-04-2013, 07:05 PM
Elite Member

I'd suggest Patricia McConnell's "The Puppy Primer" or Brian Kilcommons and Sarah Wilson's "My Smart Puppy" as good resources for starting out with a new pup.

Best of luck.

ARCHMX TDCH Pongu the Insane, CD-C, RE, RL1X6, RL2X5, RL3X2 (GSD mix, b. Apr 2010)
Crookytail the Tigerwuff, RL1, ITD (Akita mix, b. Jan 2011)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 12:27 AM
Elite Member

Im a first time dog owner and I havent ruined Apache using the Micheal Ellis tapes like power of food and tug. I havent found the right trainer yet, its been everywhere from people putting ecollars on at 13 weeks, to a akc style class where they bark orders for obedience, and to shutzhund where they want no obedience from a puppy at all. Its tough to find a trainer you agree with, I wish Micheal Ellis taught classes near me.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Sri
Master Member

Hi and congrats. This is a great forum, btw. Lot of experienced members here who give excellent advice. I am a first time puppy owner myself.

Since you just got him, let him get used to you and his new home first. It is okay for him to be shy, that is a great way for him to bond with you and take his cues from you. Also, some puppies do sleep a lot more than others, mine did and I thought something was wrong. As long as they are actively playing when awake, eating well and doing their business its all okay.

My advice would be to let him sniff around, chase balls, eat out of your hand, etc. and be a puppy, And you can incorporate simple commands like sit and down into his playtime for now. A lot of youtube videos on that. I like the guy named tab289, and also some of the other clicker training videos. This is something you can start at home right now and not wait for the training classes.

As for leash walking, let him get used to walking on leash at home first. He should get comfortable being on leash. Just treat him for following you around and keeping step with you. As for walks, I read on the forum that quite a few puppies dont like to leave their home and property. Mine still doesnt like to go for walks. We drive him to a park and walk him there.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-05-2013, 10:32 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Congrats on your new puppy! Take a good look thru ---> Welcome to the GSD/FAQ's for the first time owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums and specifically

--> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html

My pups all hating leaving my house/yard and going down the block on a leash.

But they enjoyed being packed in the car and going to new places and walking in local parks. Or visiting my friends. Or meeting my friends FRIENDLY dogs.

Welcome to the forum!

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-12-2013, 09:07 AM

WTG on the new pup. Its so exciting. I got mine when he was 7 weeks old. And yes its to young for a walk with a leash so we just played in the yard alot which got him use to boundries. Started the leash just alittle at a time with it just hanging on him when he walked around in the house. NOW he is 4 months old and just loves to go on walks. Also, when he was 10 weeks old I enrolled him at Petsmart in the puppy training class and WOW let me say it was the best thing. He was so afraid of other dogs and by the end of the 6 week class he loves all dogs. WELL, most dogs lol. AND he is trained so well too and still is and we still work on things too.

Roxie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-13-2013, 12:06 AM

I would avoid the Petco training classes. I don't think this is a fair environment to train a puppy in. I would gather some good videos (I think Michael Ellis is about as good as there is) and work with him on your own. Listen to what Michael says about socialization and how it's probably the most misunderstood concept in dog training. Your first step should be to teach this pup that you are the most interesting and fun thing in his life. Play with him. Find out what motivates him. Down the line you can socialize him by working with him in a lot of different environments. This doesn't mean having him interact with every person and dog he comes across. Again, check out some of the Ellis videos, many of which you can watch (in part) for free on his website and You Tube.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page