Excited/Submissive Potty Training Issues - HELP!
I have a 12 week old female GSD named Anke. Very sweet, follows me around like a shadow, already great with walking off leash. But, we are having some potty training issues and I'm out of ideas.
ISSUE: She excited/submissive pees and will pee in the house sometimes. She only excited/submissve pees with my boyfriend or strangers, never me. We've tried bending to her level when petting her, no luck. There are days when we take her out to potty over 15 times, and she goes every time. Sometimes she will sit by the door when she needs to go, but this is not consistent.
Boyfriend has never had a dog before, so his patience is limited here. He loves her and wants to keep her, but he's tired of cleaning up pee and wants a dog that doesn't pee every time he pets her. We are moving in 2 months and I promised that if she hadn't imporved drastically by then, I would find her a new home. Clock is ticking, help!!!
WHAT I'VE TRIED SO FAR:
- She is crated at night and when we leave. Has had some accidents in her crate. She's very comfortable with her crate, and will lay down in it of her own volition.
- Puppy pads, which she uses sometimes but not really
- We DO NOT discipline her when she excited/submissive pees as we read that this can make the behavior worse. We just ignore it and clean it up quietly
- Discipline when she has accidents in the house: we stick her nose in it, smack her butt firmly but not hard, say "NO" and take her outside. Praise and treats when she goes outside. She has now gotten to the point where as soon as we come in, she sits down and expectantly waits for her treat.
- We take her out often, including 15 minutes after meals, when she wakes up from naps or in the morning, and whenever she sniffs around like she needs to go.
She has a vet appointment on Friday, and I am trying to get her into obedience school asap. I've owned dogs all my life and haven't had to deal with the excited/submissive peeing. Not sure what to do!