Puppy is getting very aggressive. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Puppy is getting very aggressive.

I have a 10 week old German Shepard mix. The lady we got her from said she knows the mom is German Shepard and the dad was a mostly Rottweiler mix. She's been learning really fast and she's been really good but lately (the past few days) she's started to get very aggressive when anyone tries to pick her up.
I think it's because I rubbed her nose in pee a few times (I know, I know. Don't do that, spare the lectures please. We won't be doing that anymore). We went to a training session to help address the aggression and they taught us a submission to use whenever she starts getting aggressive.
We've found the submission hold is increasing her aggression, not reducing it like the trainer said! She got so mean today and she bit me really, really hard. I'm wondering if anyone has had this experience as well, and if anyone has any suggestions for reducing or eliminating the aggression whenever someone picks her up! Thanks guys!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Crowned Member

wait a minute.... a "trainer" told you to use a submission technique on a puppy?! What exactly is the submission technique?!

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:19 AM

A puppy that age is not being aggressive. I think you need a new trainer, that uses lots of rewards at this age. A puppy wants to play and they are land sharks at this age. Make training fun, so puppy will bond with you. Don't do holds
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:21 AM Thread Starter

this is pretty much exactly what the trainer said to do. We did a 1 hour private training session at PetSmart. My friend did an 8 week training course with her whippet with the trainer we saw, so she came recommended.

I'm supposed to hold her neck in a claw like fashion and put one hand on her hind quarters, and hold that position until Fifa's breathing relaxes and she isn't whining or fighting for at least 30 seconds then ignore her for a solid 10 minutes. After she relaxes and while I'm ignoring her Fifa is really great, but that's not the problem. The issue is whenever anyone touches her neck or picks her up she snarles and growls and just tries to attack.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass1512 View Post
Correcting Aggressive Puppy Biting - YouTube

this is pretty much exactly what the trainer said to do. We did a 1 hour private training session at PetSmart. My friend did an 8 week training course with her whippet with the trainer we saw, so she came recommended.

I'm supposed to hold her neck in a claw like fashion and put one hand on her hind quarters, and hold that position until Fifa's breathing relaxes and she isn't whining or fighting for at least 30 seconds then ignore her for a solid 10 minutes. After she relaxes and while I'm ignoring her Fifa is really great, but that's not the problem. The issue is whenever anyone touches her neck or picks her up she snarles and growls and just tries to attack.

NEW TRAINER!!!!! This method is NOT acceptable. If anything, this can make things worse. Your puppy will start to view YOU as a threat and the behavior gets worse. Find a new trainer. Find one who uses positive association to correct undesired behavior. You have a landshark on your hands. Some pups are crazier than others. Some are more mellow.

Also, unless YOU have done your research on the trainer, don't assume they're all great. The majority of Petsmart trainers have only gone through the companies 2 week class to even teach. Same with Petco. Not the best.... I learned more in my certification course for dog training than I could have come close to learning in a petsmart/petco class.

"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:31 AM

Oh dear! Puppies bite. . .it is what puppies do, like babies who put everything in their mouths. You teach them to stop it gently over time, you don't punish them in any way. Redirect the puppy to a toy that is acceptable for gnawing on and stick with that routine. Eventually he will grow out of wanting to put YOU in his mouth . . .once teething is past and all. If I had a nickle for everytime I've said to Paynter "No bite! Here, bite this" (hand a toy)..."GOOD boy," I'd be rich.

I don't agree with forcing a puppy into a submissive hold. That's like grounding a 2 year old human baby: Not age-appropriate. Right now you need to be all about building love and trust with this pup. Praise praise praise and reward him when he gets something right. Ignore briefly when he is being too rowdy. Enforce time outs for naps in the kennel because puppies don't always know when they are too tired to keep going. This is bonding time. Right now you just reinforce the good behavior and very gently discourage the bad. Don't scare the puppy and don't think he is being spiteful. He's a baby.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:37 AM
Banned

sounds to me this puppy is being abused or is being trained with force. hitting, pushing, pinning the dogs with your hands isnt the way to get your dog to listen. if the dog growls and tries to bite your hand the moment you touch its neck then it clearly associates your hands as bad horrible things instead of fun exciting things.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

it's not her general biting I'm concerned with, we've been working on "no bite" and redirecting her normal bites and it's been working awesome. It's the mean bites, the growling, snarling, Cujo like biting that worries me. If you pick her up or touch her neck she gets vicious, it's not normal puppy biting. She's also started to get snarly when she's playing with her toys.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 01:51 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cass1512 View Post
it's not her general biting I'm concerned with, we've been working on "no bite" and redirecting her normal bites and it's been working awesome. It's the mean bites, the growling, snarling, Cujo like biting that worries me. If you pick her up or touch her neck she gets vicious, it's not normal puppy biting. She's also started to get snarly when she's playing with her toys.

If I could get solid video of my pup, you'd think he was an aggressive little monster too. Work with a different trainer. One who knows and likes the breed(s). Picking her up and touching her neck, it might be likely the people you got her from were abusing her in such a way she learned to get aggressive about it.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2013, 02:05 AM Thread Starter

Ok, we'll definitely stop the submission hold and I'll start shopping around for a trainer that loves my puppy as much as I do. When she's not biting she's an angel. And cute as can be! Puppy is getting very aggressive.-imageuploadedbypg-free1371963913.969166.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page