Puppy refreshers - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 02:54 PM Thread Starter

Puppy refreshers

Hi ! Sorry in advance for the big post , but it has been a while since I have had a young pup ( Alvin is about 4 months old) . We rescue , so most of our dogs were at least a year when we got them.

I have few basic questions and was hoping for a few quick answers

He is crate training .I picked him up Saturday from the shelter, and then I came down with pneumonia Wednesday :/ So he has been in the crate much more than I would have liked for the last 3 days. I feel better today though and will be back on schedule with him

Also of note , I am treating him for Kennel Cough. He was quarantined in the shelter so may have done some crate soiling. My other 2 dogs got the booster 2 weeks ago in anticipation of Alvin coming home. I'm getting Alvin xrayed Tuesday.I see some possible signs of HD..not sure though. Maybe Panos.

Before I got sick , from Saturday to Wednesday ,I was able to teach him sit , down , leave it , and off. I think he is pretty smart !Then I got sick and he was crated except for bathroom and feeding breaks for 2 days because I could barely stand. GRRRR..bad timing to get sick. The human baby got neglected too . Just feed , change , and play Sesame on a never ending loop lol Oh well , that is in the past but we did lose a little ground with his training/homecoming. Back on the horse now though.

So , my questions :

What schedule is good for a 4 month old? Our current schedule is as follows..please point out anything that could be better:

5:30am quick walk ( not by choice..he does not seem to make it from midnight to 7 am ) . Quick drink of water .Back to crate for another 2 hours or so of shuteye.

8am quick walk , quick drink of water , everyone in the truck to bring kids to school

8:45 long walk , he takes a poop and pees on this walk.

9:00 am 1 1/2 cups of Blue Buffalo puppy mixed with a little bit of wet. He does not finish it. Water after . Nap in crate

10:30 or so - long walk. only pees.

10:30 to about 12pm - short 2 to 3 minute training sessions , roams around house with me , examines and interacts with human puppy ( both are learning bite inhibition right now so I don't leave them for a hot second lol)

12pm water break , longer walk.. he pees and takes 2nd poop of the day. Nap in crate

2pm - quick pee walk , water , free time in the house with me . He is always under my supervision during free time.

2:45 - pick up older kids from school.

3pm - pees on walk , water , long nap in crate since it is homework and kid time.

5pm - pees on walk , family fun in the yard. He gets to play with other two dogs at this time. Under careful supervision since his joints still feel soft and loose. I don't want him jumping too much and hurting his hip or anything. My other 2 dogs are very big. Gentle , but big. They take the hills and steps in the large yard fast, and Alvin tries to keep up. So unfortunately no free rein rough and tumble yet. Kids play with big dogs freely..play with Alvin is still limited as he is being a bit stubborn with bite inhibition. He is getting it though. He is better at learning not to bite the kids hard than he is about me. Work in progress.

6pm - water after playing in yard ,pee walk , nap in crate while we do dinner ( dad gets home at 6)

7pm - quick walk , dinner for Alvin. 1 1/2 cups mixed with wet. This he devours. Not like his morning feed where he leaves some.Water after dinner. Rests in his crate

8pm - pee walk ,little water , play with family and do some training , watch Dr Who ( Alvin loves the wormhole scene and the music lol )

9pm-water break , back in crate while we get kids settled , bathed , and in bed

9:30 long walk..3rd and last poop of the day . Also pees .Puppy's alone time with me and my husband. We do some more training at this time and have fun. Last water break.

11:30 or 12am last walk . He pees . Beds down in crate.

He has had 3 accidents in a his crate ( 2 pees at night..one poop after playing and then going into his crate) . I know other rescues I have adopted do not have that "don't soil your den" instinct .. but , do puppies that have not been desensitized due to being in a pound typically have crate accidents?

In other words , is this peeing in his crate puppy behavior ? Or is he doing it because he was in a pen in a shelter and probably had no choice? None of the accidents was due to not being walked . As you can see from the schedule he gets plenty of opportunity to "go" . And go he does , when on his walks.

Should he be able to last the night without peeing in his crate yet? He gets last walk at 12am..then I am up at 7 am. He did not make it to 7 am twice..so I have been getting up at 5:30 am . He is still dry at 5:30. So it seems like he can;t make it overnight yet? I give last water at about 9:30 pm.

I do not not relish the 5:30 am pee walk , but I know it is part of puppyhood. So , when can I expect him to go from 12am until about 7 am? Is my last water break for him too late?

We have a trainer coming Monday If you are interested in reading about our hopes and plans with Alvin , read here :
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...tle-rusty.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-21-2013, 10:39 PM
Crowned Member

The 7pm big meal is probably why Alvin is having trouble making it thru the night and why he isn't hungry in the morning. Also the long walks especially before bedtime - and the training time again before bedtime, is getting his system all worked up so he has accidents. I would feed him 3 times a day - but spaced out during the day - and the last meal earlier - then take it easy with him in the evening. The Monks of New Skete "The Art of Raising a Puppy" has schedules and also since it has been a while for you, would provide a helpful review on other areas of puppy raising.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-24-2013, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Great , thanks They were feeding him pedigree puppy twice a day in the shelter..I slowly changed him to our brand we like - BB grain free puppy , and I mix it with a little BB puppy wet. I broke it down into 3 feedings over the weekend. He made it to 6:30 last two nights ( yay!) I have some more feeding questions..I'll head over to that section for those.

I'll check out that book , thanks . Our trainer is coming today at 10am for our first session , looking forward to it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page