7 Month Old GSD Female Bladder - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

7 Month Old GSD Female Bladder

I recently purchased a beautiful 7 month old female GSD, the previous owners said she was house trained yet she has urinated and defecated on the carpet every day now. She seems to know the correct place to use the bathroom is outside but perhaps she can't hold it? I was under the impression for every month old a large breed dog is is how many hours it can hold its bladder, but it doesn't seem to be the case here. When I woke up this morning she was laying beside my bed, in the15 seconds it took me to get out of bed and put a shirt on she had already almost entirely emptied her badder on the carpet before we could go downstairs. The last thing I do before bed is take her outside yet we have an issue with either her urinating on the carpet or ill wake up and she has defecated in the hallway. I'm confused as to why my wife's 2 year old Corgi can hold her bladder for 12 hours in a crate when I'm at work yet my GSD can't go more than 4-5 hours. Is this just because she hasn't fully developed?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

I would first rule out any bladder infection and take her to the vet for a checkup. Otherwise I think she is going thru an adjustment with her new home so she is confused. I would start from scratch with the housetraining just like if she were a puppy. I would also use a crate to train her. I would make sure she gets enough exercise so she does empty out her bladder and limit the water before bedtime.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 07:59 AM

House trained at one persons house does not equal house trained at a new house especially with a 7 month old. Whether I bring in a adult dog who is house trained or a foster puppy who I have no idea I treat them the same. They all go through potty training on leash to get it on command and limited time loose in the house until that is in place and I have a better idea of where they are at with regard to how long they can hold it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Elite Member

We moved when Zeus was 4 months and had to start potty training from scratch =/

Ruby {SG1, VP1, VP3 USCA Sieger Show, Kati Von den Oher Tannen} - Red/Black 11-15-2013
Zeus {Ymka Von den Oher Tannen, CGC} - Red/Black 01-07-2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page