Teaching pup to walk nice - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Teaching pup to walk nice

I have recently started taking my 14 week old puppy, Mozzi (like mozzarella!!) on regular walks. He isnt aggressive or anything and doesnt even pull hard at dogs or people, but he constantly zig zags in front of me and jumps up at me while we re walking the whole way away from the house, then as soon as we turn around or start heading back, he starts pulling reeeeally hard, trying to sprint back to the house...

Anyone know what this is about?? Hes doing so great with everything else and so I d like to hold off on professional training classes til I have more money...plus I work from home so I can put in the time and effort

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1371600591618.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	81994  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:39 PM
Master Member

I still get the pulling to get back to the house..in fact at 5 months unless we are walking with my best friends dog Roxy will NOT leave the yard to walk unless we get in the van and drive somewhere...if the house is in site she is pulling HARD to get back there.

My best purchase yet has been that Casear Millan harness and leash that has the rubber handle on the end. It almost feels like a bungee cord..but gives me a LOT of control...and doesn't hurt my hand.

Roxy always behaves and responds better with the harness on.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:44 PM
Master Member

http://www.cesarsway.com/shop/dog-wh...cquard-harness

Mine is designed like this but not the CM monogram on it ...I got mine at Petco -- I LOVE this harness. ( this is a small one) -- I see there are some on ebay. I think mine is a large/xtra large and will adjust out as Roxy grows

and this is the leash -- also found to match harness at petco

http://reviews.petco.com/3554/106396...ws/reviews.htm

Last edited by lyssa62; 06-18-2013 at 09:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Master Member

I have that same harness, but petcos brand and I hate it!!!! I orders a working harness, supposed to help better with pulling and has a handle so I can control him better. Teaching pup to walk nice-imageuploadedbypg-free1371603238.335290.jpg

We will see if this works. If not I have no problem using a prong in conjunction to teach him.

I am not a fan if collars in the house and needed an easier harness for quick off and on.

Sabo- March 19, 2013
Metro- November 2006- May 29, 2013
Instagram-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(I'm nuts)
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:03 PM
Master Member

I like the way cesars goes on..I find it easy and I've just about got Roxy trained to step into it. She gets one foot in but then wants to chew on it instead of putting her other foot in..but it takes me literally 30 seconds to get it on if even that..and we're off. It sure has worked for her. Let me know how this other harness works...looks like it would be hot
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:09 PM
Banned

shorten the leash and take control. find a trainer, enroll in
a puppy class.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-18-2013, 11:51 PM
Banned

Every time he pulls - give him command "Heel!" and then stop, pulling him back to your thigh. He will walk beside you only because he doesn't want to stop. He must know that there will be full stop every time he pulls. Walk by some long wall on your left to teach him to keep one and the same distance from you, make the distance between him and the wall narrower each time you do this exercise, so, finally, he will be glued to your leg. Start doing sharp turns round, change the speed of your pace, run or walk really slowly. Teach him to heel moving backwards ( you would need it sometimes in different situations, say, if you wish to give way to somebody) by touching his chest with your right foot and pulling on the lead with your left hand.
When teaching tracking on 10 metres leash use The Canny Collar 13.95 Colours Black, Red, Blue Collar. Enjoy Walking Your Dog again to stop him pulling on a long leash. You can use that canny collar on a short leash as well, just, please, remember that you use it only for teaching him to walk and not to pull without any commands, don't try to teach him "Heel" with it, use "stop-start" principle.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

I am really looking forward to trying the Cesar Millan harness and leash...and I have tried stopping each and every time he pulls but I admit it gets frustrating and I end up just walking faster or jogging with him. So I will definitely be sticking to that better because he listens so well with other commands....thank you!! I will repost how the leash and harness do

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozzi_pup View Post
I am really looking forward to trying the Cesar Millan harness and leash...and I have tried stopping each and every time he pulls but I admit it gets frustrating and I end up just walking faster or jogging with him. So I will definitely be sticking to that better because he listens so well with other commands....thank you!! I will repost how the leash and harness do

yeah I hear you on the stopping and frustration.

Stopping at a full stop and yanking Roxy back to my side did nothing but frustrate both of us. As soon as we started again she bolted for the house. Stop/bolt ..this could go on for hours and gagging and coughing from pulling on the collar. Walks were no fun and we were gaining no ground and all I feared on that was that it would make her hate doing it even more.

NOW I will tell you this with the harness...that did NOT stop that behavior here in our housing addition.(ALONE WALKS) -- If Roxy sees the house ( and I think it just might be her age..she wants in the yard and will still pull) ...What it has helped with like a miracle is that if she has another dog to walk with ..she will go willingly and there is NO pulling. The harness seems to be kind of comforting to her ...best friend got a set for her pulling-worse-than-roxy-5-year-old-labradoodle and so we are finally able to walk both of them without all the yanking and pulling.

the leash has kind of a bungee cord effect with it. The handle grip gives you even more control. I dont' know..I freakin love the set. I'm so glad I spent the money on it.

ps -- sounds like you might have the same kind of "homing" dog I have....can you take your pup somewhere in your car for a walk away from the house? that is what I have to do if I have to walk alone with her. She is finally going to the van on her own free will...gets in and we head to one of the trails in town...she walks like a little pro when we do that. She used to even do the bolting to the car as soon as it was back in view ..but that is easing up every time we are out. Just get creative..and be patient..that's what I found. Feel free to pm me about any of it. I totally know your struggle!!!

LOL and be ready for people to ask you where you got the set and what kind it is. Every walk involves a discussion from other dog walkers on it.

Last edited by lyssa62; 06-19-2013 at 09:43 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 09:38 AM

I free with going to a puppy class. Mine would pull terrible and I got the Easy walk harness ( half price on amazon) it worked great for us. Because of the front clip, when they pull it turns them right back at you.
Enjoy your new little one!🐾😀🐾

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page