Upset for kai, think its time for off leash - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter

Upset for kai, think its time for off leash

too let him off lead haha

Heres the issue Kai is not %100 with recall, He comes maybe 6/10 times. The other 4 he either is sniffing things ect.

Ive had him on a 100ft line and he does okay, stays with me 90% of the time and other 10% hes doing his own thing but still with in 100ft of me and does come when called if he sees im far away

we go to a park with allot of dogs (its not a dog park it just has a lake which is popular with dog owners) and theres plenty of dogs all off lead. Ive tried taking kai there but the 100ft lead just gets in the way of the other owners and dogs and i feel like a wally. I feel sorry for kai because the only dog interaction he gets is on a lead

Ive let him off once in this park and that was because the owners persuaded me too. He was good and stayed around the people and other dogs smelling their butts and all the other good dog stuff but thats it

This park has no major roads and is quite busy. Its massive and surrounded my a lake. Do you think it'll be okay to let kai off just around the dogs so he can get some good interaction ?

When we are alone (just me, kai and brother/dad) he responds very well and always stays with us.

What do you think i should do as im only trying to do whats best for kai

thanks
dylan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

I would not let Kai off leash unless he is in a secure fenced in area until and if he is 100% reliable off leash. Sure, right now, when Kai is off leash with other dogs he is fine, but it only takes one dog that either charges Kai or Kai doesn't like for an incident to happen and unless the other dog is bigger, Kai will get the blame. The blame means that you could be fined if the owners report you and/or have to pay vet expenses if the other dog is hurt. So to me, the risk isn't worth it. I am speaking from experience here, I used to think like you - Sting needed to play, but my Sting is not 100% off leash reliable and I ended up paying the vet bill.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Beth View Post
I would not let Kai off leash unless he is in a secure fenced in area until and if he is 100% reliable off leash. Sure, right now, when Kai is off leash with other dogs he is fine, but it only takes one dog that either charges Kai or Kai doesn't like for an incident to happen and unless the other dog is bigger, Kai will get the blame. The blame means that you could be fined if the owners report you and/or have to pay vet expenses if the other dog is hurt. So to me, the risk isn't worth it. I am speaking from experience here, I used to think like you - Sting needed to play, but my Sting is not 100% off leash reliable and I ended up paying the vet bill.

Thanks for your input but cant that happen on leash too?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

Agree, and I am still careful on the leash, but the leash gives me control. Without the leash there is no real control over my dog who, yes, will stay by me when there is nothing else better to do I did use an e-collar - it did help to train him out of running after deer, but for other dogs, which he could reach - he was in high drive and ignored the shock. My husky and aussie were both the same way. Interesting with my aussie who I adopted when he was 4 yrs. old - he came with the stipulation by his former owner that he would not be let off leash because of his unreliability, and that was the reason she rehomed him.

Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 12:20 AM
Banned

only you know if your dog is ready for off leash. test him
and proof him in an area that's fenced in.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 01:42 AM
Elite Member

Riley has very good recall off lead in the back yard and on lead wherever we have been, but other than the backyard I have not tested him off lead.

My trainer suggested I keep the long lead on him in case he bolts I can hopefully step on the lead. I have not tried that yet, but when we do test him off lead or with loose lead it will be at the park on the baseball field. It's totally fenced in, but gives him room to run and explore. I will go early in the morning before a lot of people are in the park.

That's the safest place I can find around me to test and train him. Is there any place like that around you?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcy View Post
Riley has very good recall off lead in the back yard and on lead wherever we have been, but other than the backyard I have not tested him off lead.

My trainer suggested I keep the long lead on him in case he bolts I can hopefully step on the lead. I have not tried that yet, but when we do test him off lead or with loose lead it will be at the park on the baseball field. It's totally fenced in, but gives him room to run and explore. I will go early in the morning before a lot of people are in the park.

That's the safest place I can find around me to test and train him. Is there any place like that around you?

Ive had a long lead on kai just in case he bolts and he didnt, he just stuck around me.

There is nowhere like that around me, there are some tennis courts that are fenced but the fence has warn and are holes at the bottom
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Anyother ideas? i just really want him to have doggy company
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-15-2013, 11:26 AM

I've been testing Roman at the high school baseball field early in the morning.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-19-2013, 12:13 PM

How old is Kai?
My pup walks off leash since day one. To be honest, the first few days have been kind of "messy" because the recall wasn't 100%, but that wasn't a big surprise. We worked on the recall in our garden with her breakfast, lunch and dinner and it wasn't a problem after a few days anymore.

If they are in the middle of the play I don't even try the recall because I know she wouldn't come anyway so just wait for the right moment to call & reward.
Additionally she didn't (resp doesn't ) get food before I take her out for a walk so that she's a little hungry and wants to eat as soon as she comes to me (in the beginning I take "really great treats" with me to reward if she comes to me while playing with another dog).
And if your dog is into the game a little too much, just run away and call his name, they usually follow (unless -again- they are in the middle of their game).
I would just try it and let him off leash! And I would try it rather sooner than later, it's always easiest when they are young and a little "insecure".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page