Basic class is almost done...... What next? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 12:50 AM Thread Starter

Basic class is almost done...... What next?

Lucca and I have been in basic obedience for a month now & we have only one class left (5 classes total) I've really enjoyed it, and now I need to decide which class we are moving into next. Lucca will be 5 months old on Saturday... Sorry for the long post

My goals: CGC is my #1 goal. Competing & titling in nose work, competing & titling in obedience, possibly trying rally, possibly trying agility. I would REALLY like to do IPO, but I live in the-middle-of-nowhere Wyoming & the nearest clubs I have been able to find are 5-6 hours away and I just can't do that distance for training. Neither clubs I found are even actually IN my state... if anyone knows of a club in WY please let me know.

I spoke with my trainer, and we have the option of continuing with more obedience or an introduction to nose work. I'm really on the fence! I want Luc to have a very solid OB foundation, but I kinda feel like that's something we could work on by ourselves. At the same time, I wonder if we should start nose work this early?

Luc's done great in basic, he picks things up fast. The trainer has commented that I have done a great job socializing him & that he's really coming along beautifully both socially and with the training Hearing that from the trainer made me so proud of Lucca She tells it like it is and dose not just hand out compliments.

In the class we have covered sit, down, leave it, recall, walking on a loose lead (basically heel), focus, sitting at doors to go in or out, crawl, and (just for fun) play dead. There is a heavy emphasis on socialization, which has been great for Lucca.

Luc has mastered sit, down, leave it, and sitting at doors/gates. We need to work on recall & focus with distractions. Heel is really on the right track and so close to being solid with distractions... crawl & play dead were just introduced so we haven't worked much on them. At home, I have also trained "Stay"... the trainer dose not teach it until pups have mastered sit & down without the use of treats & most pups in our class have not reached that point. Lucca's sit & down are solid & learned stay just fine at home.

I'd like to get some feedback from everyone out there! I'm leaning towards nose work but I'm not sure if I'm making the right choice

Thanks everyone!!

Lucca Von Cyclone Zam- AKC GSD
Riley Von Squirrelbane Zam- Lab/GSD Rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 12:57 AM
Crowned Member

I'd do the nosework ~~ obedience is always ongoing for the life of the dog. So keep up with what you know, add in some retrieves/recalls. Focus on engagement and enthusiasm while you work your obedience. Maybe start with a low key agility intro following your nosework course if you want to try something different.

If you want to do IPO, I'd check around with other GSD people in your area and get a group going if possible. Or contact USCA for contacts. You may find that someone is closer than you know to mentor you while you get others together to at least train in tracking and obedience, you can always bring in a helper now and then or travel for bitework(just make sure the helper is worthy/reputable)

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:04 AM
Master Member

Have you tried the MeetUp groups? Someone may have started a group in your area.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Sabo- March 19, 2013
Metro- November 2006- May 29, 2013
Instagram-

(I'm nuts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:13 AM
Master Member

Go with the Nosework. Like you said, you can work on the basic obedience at home on your own.

"And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 10:25 AM
Knighted Member

Definitely not too young for nose work. My breeder is a tracking judge and starts her puppies as young as 7 weeks.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 02:21 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

He's definitely not too young - our nosework trainer starts with young puppies too (he trained MWDs for detection and patrol at Lackland AFB before moving to the Bay Area), here's a dog he trained (Scrabble) doing a lock on odor at 5 months old:

Scrabble again, at 6 months old:

The rules have been changed since then so now you can't enter a dog in trial that's under a year old, but Scrabble got his NW1 title when he was around 10 months old.

And working with a client's 14 week old puppy:

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 08:39 PM
Crowned Member

Andrew is in my town this weekend for the UKC Premier. It was really cool to get to view a demonstration by him and Karen Shivers. They are putting together a UKC program for nosework titles.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2013, 08:44 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Andrew is a really cool guy, I'm glad you got to see a demo! Super nice, and obviously knows what he's doing. He didn't like the way the K9 Nosework people did things, so he decided to just bypass them and work with the UKC instead.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page