What else should I do? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Master Member
 
erfunhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Santa Clarita Valley, Ca
Posts: 942
What else should I do?

So, Sabo already knows "sit" and is pretty good with it, i'd say 90% (the other 10% he will sit and scratch, but that's not what I'm looking for in a perfect "sit"...LOL). We are working with recalls, right now we throw an interesting toy, and in a happy voice say "Come Sabo, Come Sabo" and he brings it back! I dont know if this is how you teach recall, but so far it works.

He is completely attached to me. If I get up and go to the bathroom, he wakes up and comes with me. If I get up to go to the kitchen, he comes with me. He is ok without me though, which is good because I"m a night shift worker so he doesn't try and get to me when I'm sleeping, he's perfectly happy playing with hubby and the kids when I sleep.

His "leave it" is decent around the cats, even though they taunt him and eventually he gives in. I get up, grab the harness, tell him "leave it" again, and bring him to his bed to lay down until the cat goes away. The ferrets are a different story. They are too fast and too enticing. When they need to be out of the cage, Sabo goes to play in the kids room and they get the peace they need. When we are in the house (2 weeks!!!!) then we will put up a play pen for them and slowly expand it until they can all live in harmony. (With Metro, he would just get up and move when they started playing with his tail...if they tried to get into his bowl while he ate, he would get up and move away...he was DOCILE and EASY!LOL!)

He is decently potty trained when we are watching. He will do the sniffing and looking, and then we say "OUTSIDE????" and do the grab and run! Tell him "Go Potty" and he does his business.

On the way back inside if there are two adults present, one adult will start running down the straightaway and calling him, the other will release him off his leash and he follows right up the stairs (Which thrills my husband, when Metro could run we would do the same thing).

He is great with the kids (though I think he thinks they are puppies?) but they wanna wrestle on the ground...is this bad?
erfunhouse is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 10:50 PM
Crowned Member
 
Mary Beth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pierre, South Dakota
Posts: 5,126
Sabo is doing great thanks to your training. If he turns out to be a like Metro then you may not have a problem with the kids wrestling on the ground. If not that may be a problem as Sabo gets bigger. My neighbors have a lovely boxer/Great Dane mix who is great with the grandkids except when the boys wrestle on the ground - then Mya wants to join in and she is bigger and stronger.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Mary Beth is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome