Breaking the last bit of mouthing? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Breaking the last bit of mouthing?

Wonderful Java is 1yo now, very much a puppy still.

She still mouths a bit (And by mouthing just putting her mouth over your arm, not an ounce of pressure) - but obviously some people don't like this and with a baby on the way we want it to end.

Is there anything we can do to stop the behavior completely?

It is "worst" when she first sees you and is excited, she is a mouth machine - but again, no pressure.

Java Haus Juris, CGC - 6/2/2012
Kessey "Koch" Von der Sauk - 10/26/2008 - 04/23/2011 - Pronounced "Coke"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:29 PM
Elite Member

My lab/boxer is a bit like that even now he is 3. He just does it with people he likes and trusts. He has never tried to do it to a child. The first time he saw a child he lay on the floor of the kitchen and let the child approach.

If he does it to someone and i want him to stop I just tell him off and he will let go. Sometimes I will get him to hold me by the arm and guide me around. He loves it. I'm thinking it is a sign of confidence to be comfortable enough to play like that with adults but you don't want anything like that with children. I'm thinking the dog will respect the child(esp a new born) even if he does this with adults. But you should teach the dog to not do it when you wish as you need that control.

The dog is excited usually when doing this, you just walk in, he has to grab something, it may be your arm or something of the floor and then he goes wagging and feeling great. I would aim to relax a dog like that. Let it calm down. Walk back out and back in again until he just relaxes and accepts you walking in un-slobbered on. You can still call your dog to you and make it excited any time and allow him to mouth you like that, just on your terms and not on your entrance into the house. I always give the dogs 5 minutes to relax when I enter my home before sharing any communication or affection. It generates calmness and shows the pack structure doesn't get excited when i enter as with unstable energy of a person getting excited and feeding and feeding of the excitement of the dogs. I try to have a calming affect on my dogs so they are well behaved indoors.

Last edited by MadLab; 06-12-2013 at 06:36 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Knighted Member

Maybe if you ignore the dog when you first get home and only pet (reward with attention) once it calms down, it will learn that excited behavior means getting ignored. I would remove my arms/turn around if it continues until the pup learns what you want her to do. Reward her for sitting and waiting for attention. Keep walking if she wants to wallow you at the door.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks all, the most obvious answer, ignoring them, is what we should be doing. Sometimes it just takes others to remind!

Java Haus Juris, CGC - 6/2/2012
Kessey "Koch" Von der Sauk - 10/26/2008 - 04/23/2011 - Pronounced "Coke"
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-12-2013, 08:15 PM
Banned

ignoring, is that really correcting the problem? try a light correction or
redirect him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith3 View Post
Thanks all, the most obvious answer, ignoring them, is what we should be doing. Sometimes it just takes others to remind!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page