Beginner wanting more??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:29 AM Thread Starter

Beginner wanting more???

Our girl is growing fast (14 1/2 weeks,) and showing a high intelligence and drive. She has a high pain tolerance and shows signs of eagerness without shying away from rough play and seems to get eager. She's not barky, but vocal through her throat, and just seems to have a drive worth putting to use.
We had gotten her more for family companion and to help with our sons development issues, along with the intimidation to allow me to walk in more outdoor areas with our 4 children if my husband is working and can't come along.
But, being a stay at home mom, I crave a hobby outside my home and children and feel we're now in a place to allow this. With her higher drive I would love to nurture this and have her trained as a true protection dog.
I'm looking for insight to how to get my feet wet, and if this training will result in a too high strung dog for normal family time time and cause issues with bringing her in public?
Frankly, total virgin here and I haven't the clue as to where to start.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 08:47 AM
Crowned Member

You really, really need to consult a reputable PP trainer... not every dog has the nerves for this (I'm not sure what you mean by high pain threshold, and that's not always an indicator of stability), nor does every owner. I have to put a really heavy emphasis on REPUTABLE, as there are a lot of fools out there advertising training "attack dogs". They're the only ones that can evaluate your pup for the right temperament.

Is your interest in sport (i.e. IPO) or true protection? If it's true protection work, just having a well trained GSD is usually enough of a deterrent for the average family. If you're feel there's even more of a threat, having a dog won't deter someone that crazy, no matter how trained the dog is. PP training/maintenance is definitely NOT a hobby.

If your interest is in sport (which is the impression I'm getting), then find a local training club and get in touch with them about coming out to visit and watch-- it's a lot of fun and a great hobby.

In the mean time, take obedience classes. A high drive puppy is going to need the outlet, and if you're inexperienced with the breed (not saying you are, just if) then learning how to manage this drive in someone experienced with working breeds will really enhance your experience with your pup.

Good luck, she sounds like a blast!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 PM

I always get antsy thinking about the PP training crowd. I think the advice given was good, but finding a good PP trainer - low probability. They are out there, but lots of crazies in that crowd, too.

You've got lots of time to figure that out. Before getting into PP I would recommend looking into joining a dog sport club first, as well. Most of the foundational training, like drive building and early bite work, should be similar for young dogs.

Besides that, start training your dog to do everything and anything! Have some fun! If training and working with your dog are/become a habit, you will be able to do any venue the dog is capable of as it matures. You will also strengthen your dog/handler relationship, as well as learn a way to communicate with your dog (like marker training).

There are also lots of fun venues, like obedience, agility, or rally, you can do to help build a solid training foundation.

Good luck!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

K9 Liesl vom Wildhaus - RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-13-2013, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Oh I've met the nuts. I did know an excellent trainer who actually trained military dogs but he's 2 states away. He stopped advertising to help train average Joe's dogs because he said its not a train and there you go. He said too often they were looking for an attack dog and abused that power, or became neglectful with their training.
I'm not seeking an attack dog, so much as one I can teach to intimidate if needed. Bare teeth, stand ready, maybe a warning growl. We live in a beautiful state with so much foresty outdoors space, I want to have the.option to put her in alert mode to warn any weirdos she means business if they are debating.
As for the pain tolerance. As I said my hubby will rough and tumble with her. She is eager for that extra contact and gets on hyper awareness mode and very focused. She'll dart and find your weak point and go in into use your strength to enhance hers. She's more a tag you as we've been strict with having a soft mouth.
Currently we have basics down, verbal and hand signals which was quick and easy to do. I'm perfectly comfortable handing that on my own which I grew up doing and have training in. I actually studied under a master groomer/trainer for show quality dogs in AKC show rings, although had to move when I was at intermediate level. We had issues with come at first, but now we've gotten that resolved. I think it was her deciding if she wanted to consider us her people. Not my first GSD, but no doubt she has a little something extra special in her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page