Puppy class #3. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Puppy class #3.

welp last night was the worst one yet. Roxy is too distracted by all the dogs in there...mainly her brother. Once the two of them spot each other they both pull us ( his owner) and me till we are next to each other. Then they want to rough house and do their little love language talk.

then ALL the dogs are centered on this one cute little border collie puppy and won't leave her alone.

last night the trainer just basically threw her hands up in the air for "group class" and walked around and worked individually on stuff. So it wasn't just Roxy not paying attention.

She didn't want to heel or have anything to do with what we were doing. YET I can haul her butt in the van to the park and she heels like a little pro...socializing with other dogs/ people etc. I think we are just in too confined of an area..and I know she still needs to learn this is class..this is what you need to do ...but they all turn into mush brains when we are in there I will stick it out for the next 3 weeks ( paid) but am hoping I can find something maybe a little more structured with a little more room for the next one.

I really haven't given up on agility or other work as she matures and gets more confident ( we still fight with leaving the yard to walk the neighborhood). I've pretty much given up on that right now. I think if I were to sneak up the back yard through my best friends yard I could at least get part of a walk in..but I haven't done it yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Elite Member

It's okay, mine did that too but after I quit feeding her dinner before class and upped the value of her treats she got a lot better. Is there a way to move your spot farther from the other dogs? You should not allow her to pull towards her brother, firmly plant your feet or increase the distance, they are learning that if they pull they get what they want - playing, and are less likely to focus.

No worries, she's young and still has a small attention span, mine is almost 6 months old and still sometimes loses her mind when around a bunch of fun stuff, she 'forgets' how to sit on command when she is super excited.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

that makes me feel better to hear that. I talked to the trainer before class a little bit and told her I know she doesn't believe this is the same dog that I talk about being out at the park and having people commenting on how well she minds. I said I'm going to have to video tape it to prove it...and she said no, she can tell that in a different scenario she probably does act different and she said the same thing..it's ok she's a puppy...she'll get used to it . We do the dog class at the vets office and because it had rained so much and the yard was wet he asked the trainer to hold the class in the basement because he didn't want to chance somebody getting hurt out in the yard. It was a good call on his part...but the basement although HUGE ...just not enough space for 10 dogs and owners...and it seems like 2 puppies bring their whole familes and they have to sit on the sidelines. I kind of wish the trainer would ask for that not to happen. There are already too many people there and then adding an additional 4 or 5 people coming with the owner..just too many..too much going on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

and just got back from a walk with the bestie and her labordoodle ...perfect walks for both of them ( and us)....lot's of distractions...kept walking. Her's is older and kind of set in her ways so she's kind of got some growling issues..but she did a good job too. I think the two of them walking together kind of evened each other out.

Roxy got to see another german shepherd which made her happy. I hadn't seen german shepherds or even heard of anybody around here having them for a lllllllllllooong time until I got Roxy..now I see lots of them and people who say they either do own them or used to..it's wicked cool! She def gains more of a fan club every time we go out.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:41 PM

Keep it up! She'll get better.

Putting a Gentle Leader on my pup helped us... I put it on for class, and it is MAGIC. She turns into her normal well-behaved focus pup.... Off... she's kinda like what you describe!

~ ~ ~ Melissa, Emme (A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!), and 4 Cats ~ ~ ~
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 06:50 PM
Elite Member

You can also try exercising her before class so she is physically tired definitely dont feel bad about it, it sounds like its a little chaotic in there

Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page