Toilet trained and knows some commands at 2 months? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Toilet trained and knows some commands at 2 months?

I have never had one of these little guys before, well mine is a girl and it appears it has taken about a week to get her toilet trained.

I am home all day so about 20 minutes after food, 10 minutes after drinking or upon waking her up I now ask her come for poo poo and pee pee she does not know the difference of course and open the door and she goes.

If there is a mistake like I am not getting up early enough on the morning she will go to the toilet on her paper if she needs to go and get my attention she makes these weird grunting noise things like a cry

She also knows what 'no' means (in reference to biting and chewing) I say it quite loud, come and also sit, well when she smells chicken she has learned to beg.

I can only assume she has learned by watching my older dog who she pretends to be.

Are these guys this clever they can learn so young or I am just lucky with a clever dog?

We did have a mistake however she bit into a rubber pipe we have in the bathroom for the bidet I woke up to a shower like a soaker hose but as we have tiles it did not matter

If I am lucky with getting her trained so young I will upload it to youtube but if this is normal I will not bother

Believe me however in the last 7 days she has had her share of toilet mistakes and she also tries to get into the cupboards its like waking up sometimes to a vervet monkey and you do not want to encounter one of those believe me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:12 PM

My guy is 8.5 weeks and has only had 3 accidents in the house(we have had him since he was 7 weeks). After the first 3 days none, and he had diarrhea for about 3 days. I think they are just really smart dogs. You defiantly have a good girl. I started some training and he knows sit and down but haven't got the recall down, so he only does it when we are training or I am right in front of him. I have heard that some are more stubborn, though so I think though it is not uncommon for these dogs its definitely not always the case.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindsay1126 View Post
My guy is 8.5 weeks and has only had 3 accidents in the house(we have had him since he was 7 weeks). After the first 3 days none, and he had diarrhea for about 3 days. I think they are just really smart dogs. You defiantly have a good girl. I started some training and he knows sit and down but haven't got the recall down, so he only does it when we are training or I am right in front of him. I have heard that some are more stubborn, though so I think though it is not uncommon for these dogs its definitely not always the case.
Nothing worse than a dog with the runs

I have however found out that scrambled eggs or rice with chicken seems to work and chamomile tea / yoghurt seems to cleanse the system
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 08:11 PM

Oh thanks, but it was actually parasite related. He is doing much better now. He is on a boiled chicken and rice diet. I was just so proud of him he always let us know before he needed to go, which was a lot with the runs.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 10:53 PM

My boy is 9 weeks and knows a few cues as well (sit, lay, stay, shake, up, roll and working on come still). My husband and I have had him for a week.
He rarely has potty accidents :-)
Sounds like your girl is very very smart!
This is my first gsd, and their intellegence is unbelievable.
As another person on the forum pointed out to me though, "engagement training" is the most important part of training.
I don't have the links, but there are some good YouTube videos of it.
I'm excited to read about your girls' progress.
Good luck! :-)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 12:02 AM
Elite Member

Thats great that you have a smart dog and are training. But I will say to not force anything at this young age. If the dog doesnt do what you want then dont give it the treats but dont say bad dog or any of that stuff.
Do you have to lift your dog onto the toilet or does she climb on herself?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page