walks are getting much better - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 07:20 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

walks are getting much better

We are making PROGRESS on the walking front. It still seems to be a better, more relaxed walk if we are away from our housing addition and go into one of the parks / trails...so that's what we do for 1 hour a day.

We have 4 different trails I rotate with and they seem to be a nice routine for Roxy now. I use 2 different collar combos. I have a martingale ( thank u to those who suggested that) and I also have a Caesar Millan harness. Both seem to work. I think I like the harness a bit better...something about having that around her seems to relax her a bit.

She has done a GREAT job of socializing on walks. She is getting way better about approaching people and other dogs. If we see a dog coming I will try to ask the person before they get to me if it's ok for an introduction..I have not had one person say no yet so it's been a very positive thing. She's met big dogs, little dogs. Old people, young people, kids ( omg she loves kids) We walked our riverfront for the first time the other day and she had a petting club..everybody wanted to pet her and she just soaked it up.

the neighbor next door brought his mix dog over and we let her and Roxy play in our penned in area. Roxy was ok as long as she was doing the chasing..when Biscuit turned to chase her then Roxy came running over around me acting like she was getting killed. But then that seemed to be the game they played.
My best friend brought her labordoodle over and they had fun playing...same thing..turned them loose in the penned in area after a meet and greet. ( we both were in there and had their leashes on in case we had to run an intervention. All went well.

the howling has pretty much stopped when I leave. She's getting it now ..I'm coming back..might be 5 minutes..might be an hour but I am coming back.

Just everything is almost too perfect. You know when something is just too good to be true and you keep waiting for the wind to be knocked out of your sail? I hate being like that ...but it's just been too easy. I just hope I've got this crazy laid back dog like dogdad does..and not this is a calm before the storm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 07:28 PM

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Elite Member

Unrelated, but thank you for being one of those people that asks permission for your dog to greet. An idiot ruined my training session the other day when she let her little dogs run up on their flexis to my big barking puppy, who, go figure, was learning how to not bark and show self control when other dogs were around lol obviously that went straight to a fail mode when the charging little dogs pushed her over her excitement limit

Sounds like everything is going great, GOOD JOB!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page