Help with Potty Training! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

Help with Potty Training!

My biggest issue is potty training. Any suggestions? I try to take her outside after eating, drinking, waking etc. I put her leash on and say outside and walk outside and if she pees or pops ! But she doesn't seem to get it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Knighted Member

Do or do not, there is no try.

You have to take her out every 20 minutes when she is a very young pup. Stand with her or walk her around and tell her to "go potty!" Take her to the same place every time. You cannot go in once you've gone out to go potty until she goes. She must be made to understand what she is out there for. And you can't go out just when it is convenient for you. You must stick to a routine or she will never learn. No playing either. I never used treats, but you can try that too after she has gone potty.

Always lavish a lot of praise after she has taken care of business, and go right back inside afterward.

You must also take her out after:

Playing
Eating
Drinking (any amount)
A nap

Pull her food no later than 1900 and food no later than 2000 depending upon your feeding schedule and how fast she eliminates. You will likely have to adjust this to work around your sleep/work schedule.

Crate her at night or have her sleep with you. You will have to get up several times so you may as well get used to it now until she can hold it through the night.

Take her out before bedtime, again at 0100, 0400, and whatever time you get up. The objective here is to make sure she is empty as possible before bedtime to eliminate the nocturnal trips as soon as possible after her little bladder can hold the remaining contents overnight.

German Shepherd Dogs are mong the easiest of all breeds to succesfully potty train. But you have to teach her. She can't figure out what you want unless you show her.

One other objective of this training is that they must be made to understand not only that outside is where we go potty, but that it is NEVER ever ever ever (except for an illness accident that you or she can't help) acceptable to go inside.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your reply. It has been a little frustrating. I take her out to a penned in area right after drinking and playing. But she just winds up laying down. Today I was out there with her for one hour, knowing she had to go but she didn't. I took her back in, And had to take a shower so I crated her. When I was dressed she had just woke up so I took her out again. Same thing. Just lies down. I try to walk her around in a circle to help. Finally this time I was able to out wait her and she finally went pee. I gave her huge praise and brought her right back in. She had lunch, and fell right back to sleep. It's crazy that she won't pee when she goes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 05:14 PM

It's hard but try not to feel nervous or impatient. Don't try and rush a puppy to go. The puppy can pick up on the stress. Don't use a loud voice trying to get her to go.....

(hard again I know) But don't yell or get mad at the puppy if it has an accident. Just pick her up and take her where you want her to go....

Just gotta be patient. They are all different. When I had Kaos as a puppy he only had maby 2 accidents the whole time. My puppy Havoc had 2 the 1st day I had him. What made it easy with Kaos was he was always right by me. So I could sense when he needed to go. Havoc on the other hand still wanted to do his own thing. I had to block the entrance of a room so he wouldn't wander away. Sure enough if he was out of site a second watch out....

Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony...
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Elite Member

When Lara was a baby she wouldnt really pee after eating or drinking, it was only after naps or rough play, and she napped A LOT.

Just be patient, my vet suggested to me that if you know she has to pee, go out and if she doesnt go in 15 minutes, pop her in her crate for 15 minutes and repeat until she pees. After she pees, let her have some house time for a little while.

I wouldn't let mine lay down outside if I knew she had to pee, I just made her keep walking in circles. we have a bell on the door, I would sit there and poke her nose on the bell and then say "wow great job!" and open the door. She figured it out very quickly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Mine is 8 weeks, this is what has worked for me.

It seems you know when she needs to go etc but I have simply used the words come poo poo and pee.

Then as she is doing it I tell her good girl poo poo pee and make a fuss of her

If I see her circling or sniffing indoors I take her outside but now she knows what to do when I open the door

I only assume the eldest dog maybe showed her

We also keep newspaper in strategic areas just in case

I have noticed she seems to have a thing about doing it at 5am

As a side note to those interested - its far easier to train my dog in English than Arabic as I do not feel I am spitting on her and if she is stolen as a guard dog (I ask myself to guard what - are the locals trying to glamorise poverty?) she will not know what they are saying LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page