So frustrating! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

So frustrating!

My dog is killing me with his amazing potty training skills. Well every-time he pees outside or poops I praise him, but when he does it inside I tell him no and what not,

He loves doing it on the grass.. But I have no clue why he doesn't attempt to walk to the grass.. Our veranda is linked with the garden.. He just poops on the veranda when he's alone.. I have no clue what to do anymore.

He's alone when I'm in college, I'm thinking of tying him in the garden while I'm gone instead of putting him in the crate because he'll just mess up the crate. And when i let him loose in the garden he eventually gets bored and goes up to sleep on the veranda, he loves it.

At least when he's tied he can walk away a bit to do his business. What do y'all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 09:06 AM

Haha mine is the same! He will use the FRONT lawn to pee/poo but out the back (where i want him to go because he has access to it) he will ALWAYS choose the decking to pee/poo and NOT the grass area.. and I have been out there on lead with him for 40 mins one night KNOWING he was BUSTING and he didnt go.. so I let him back in... he walked out straight away on his own accord (10 seconds later) and went on the deck........ haha..

I'm going to be installing chicken wire across there so when he goes out he wont be able to access the deck.. Muhahah!

"Cooper", 8th March, 2013
Pedigree Database:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:02 AM

please don't TIE him to anything while not supervised..You could come home to a dead puppy

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Banned

don't tie your dog to something outside. build
him a pen over the area where you want him
to go to the bathroom. make sure whatever you
build he can't dig out or climb out. is your pup
loose in the yard while you attend class?
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 01:39 PM
Elite Member

Just pick up the poop, how hard is that

And how frustrating is that? Wait til your dog is dragging you around the block.

It's a pup. When you were a baby did you poop in the designated area.

I'd never give a dog a complex over potty. Let them grow up in peace
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 01:43 PM
Elite Member

when Riley was younger he always pooed on the cement. We just cleaned it up and now he goes where he suppose to 99% of the time. When he has pudding butt he still prefers the cement, but it's not difficult to clean up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
don't tie your dog to something outside. build
him a pen over the area where you want him
to go to the bathroom. make sure whatever you
build he can't dig out or climb out. is your pup
loose in the yard while you attend class?
Yes always.. When he gets bored he goes up to the veranda to sleep and then after a while he decorates the place.

Like what gets to me that he's not even confined! He is free to go down, and play and poop and pee, did I mention poop and pee? Okay it's getting ugly one day I woke up at 530 in the morning just to wash it all because I temporarily housed another dog and I didn't want to crate them!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-02-2013, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by trcy View Post
when Riley was younger he always pooed on the cement. We just cleaned it up and now he goes where he suppose to 99% of the time. When he has pudding butt he still prefers the cement, but it's not difficult to clean up.
So when he is older.. You're saying he will automatically get use to a spot and start pooping and peeing there? If that is the case I do not have a problem.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-03-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann View Post
So when he is older.. You're saying he will automatically get use to a spot and start pooping and peeing there? If that is the case I do not have a problem.

Yes. Once the dog gets a little older, they will better distinguish where it's ok vs. not ok to go to the bathroom. Just keep working with your pup, praising him when he goes in the right spot. And when he goes in the "wrong" spot, don't get angry. Just a simple "uh-oh" will do and then move him to the grass and try to get him to go again.. And when he does, praise, praise, praise! Potty training doesn't happen overnight. It is a work in progress and there will be setbacks. Just be patient, try not to lose your temper, and ALWAYS give lots of praise & treats when he goes potty in the correct area. If you're consistent, you'll start to see progress before you know it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page