Walks are not so fun when you're stopping every minute.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down Walks are not so fun when you're stopping every minute..

My 3 month old is somewhat a hassle to walk. I know he's young and dying to explore his surroundings... but he wants to stop and smell EVERY strand of grass! We walk a good 4-6 block area... so you can imagine how many stops he wants to make.

I think I spend more time stopping and standing there waiting for him to finish sniffing than we do actual walking! And it's not easy tugging/dragging him when he doesn't wanna move and I just wanna keep walking.

Is a choke chain/prong collar in need? I just walk him with a regular harness.

Also, I'm constantly tripping over him cause he keeps crossing right in front of me back and fourth. Advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Banned

You have to decide: what is the purpose of the walk?
If it's for his benefit just to get out then let him stop and smell the roses.
If it is to train him to leash walk and heel then that is a whole nuther story.
It it is for you to get exercise then go without him.
I'm sure there are many more possibilities.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky44 View Post
You have to decide: what is the purpose of the walk?
If it's for his benefit just to get out then let him stop and smell the roses.
If it is to train him to leash walk and heel then that is a whole nuther story.
It it is for you to get exercise then go without him.
I'm sure there are many more possibilities.
I do it for him... He's in the house most of the day, so yeah, I guess you can say it is for his benefit. I figure some exercise is much needed for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDNewbie1024 View Post
I do it for him... He's in the house most of the day, so yeah, I guess you can say it is for his benefit. I figure some exercise is much needed for him.
Stopping and smelling everything is mental exercise for him, so it is not wasted time. To actually exercise him, 4 to 6 blocks isn't much unless the blocks are big and you are jogging the whole time.
I assume he is getting some fetch play and running around.
Dogs adapt to most (reasonable) environments and he will adapt to yours to the extent that his GSD genes allow.... depending on his drive and energy level. Good luck and congratulations on your puppy.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:22 PM
Crowned Member

NO choke chain or prong collar!!! He is still way too young. At the earliest it should be considered is 6 months but its better to wait until they're older. A puppies neck muscles are still developing and putting a collar like that on them can cause more damage than it can help.

As for stopping every minute, bring treats. Lure him where you want him to be. Start teaching him early that he can stop and sniff when you allow it but not every single time there's a scent that catches his attention.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky44 View Post
Stopping and smelling everything is mental exercise for him, so it is not wasted time. To actually exercise him, 4 to 6 blocks isn't much unless the blocks are big and you are jogging the whole time.
I assume he is getting some fetch play and running around.
Dogs adapt to most (reasonable) environments and he will adapt to yours to the extent that his GSD genes allow.... depending on his drive and energy level. Good luck and congratulations on your puppy.

Fetch play is hit or miss sometimes. I take him to the park and some days he's really into fetching his ball, and others... he just wants to lay on the grass and sleep lol

Suggestions on games?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 03:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
NO choke chain or prong collar!!! He is still way too young. At the earliest it should be considered is 6 months but its better to wait until they're older. A puppies neck muscles are still developing and putting a collar like that on them can cause more damage than it can help.

As for stopping every minute, bring treats. Lure him where you want him to be. Start teaching him early that he can stop and sniff when you allow it but not every single time there's a scent that catches his attention.

I figured it was too early, but wanted to be sure and just ask.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:26 PM

I disagree with not using corrective collars. I have been using one in my pup since he was 4 months old and he has learned a lot from it. You have to also decide what you are going to do with the dog ie obedience/Schutzhund where it will come in handy. Its okay to let your pup explore and sniff but he/she will have to learn that you are allowing him to do it. Not the other way around.

There are also harnesses you can get that will tighten up around his front legs if he starts to pull. They are just a pain to put on sometimes which is why I use a pronged collar.

Raider Vom Geisterholz AKC GSD 2/26/2012
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDNewbie1024 View Post
My 3 month old is somewhat a hassle to walk. I know he's young and dying to explore his surroundings... but he wants to stop and smell EVERY strand of grass! We walk a good 4-6 block area... so you can imagine how many stops he wants to make.

I think I spend more time stopping and standing there waiting for him to finish sniffing than we do actual walking! And it's not easy tugging/dragging him when he doesn't wanna move and I just wanna keep walking.

Is a choke chain/prong collar in need? I just walk him with a regular harness.

Also, I'm constantly tripping over him cause he keeps crossing right in front of me back and fourth. Advice?
Hm, well what I do is let them have a few seconds where I mentally count in my head and after that I say "lets go", and you show them a treat and walk away - give them a little tug if needed, not a jerk. A lot of times I don't let mine sniff until I make her sit first and then I say okay go play, and she gets a little freedom.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page