Success with walk and shouting from the rooftop.... :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Talking Success with walk and shouting from the rooftop.... :)

We did it...we took a walk out here in the addition. My son went with me..and he's more of a "stroller'..he smokes his pipe and looks at the trees and flowers ...so this worked out good for us.

I used the small bites of hot dog my vet tech friend suggested. Lured her out to the road with it...she stopped a couple of times and looked at the house but with the hot dog in front of her did not try to bolt back.

I worked on a "slow" command with her ..that if she was picking up speed and starting to pull we would say "slow" and she'd slow down and take her place back with is.
I also did a lot of walk/stop and sits/. Nice work! We got about a miles walk to and from. That was enough to start off with I think. We'll work up to the next mileage another time...once I get her ok to be out here walking and not being able to see the house.

nobody had their dogs out..I was really wishing they would have but most people are at work now and so dogs were in the houses. We'll have to do an evening stroll sometime.

I did use the comfort paws ( something like that) harness instead of the leash..I think that makes her feel more safe. I did order the martingale collar and am anxious for it to get here.

I am such a happy / content furmommy right now. I was so frustrated yesterday with all of it. I praised and praised while we were out. .and when we got home ( which I'm sure she wondered what I was still going on about since she was laying down)...but she just made me so happy and we had a great time while we were out. I want her to realize walks are a great thing.

thank you all for your tips and suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 04:00 PM
Knighted Member

Whoot! Whoot!

Carrie

Mac - 4 year old GSD
Bart - 9ish year old GSD/Akita
& 3 Cats Buffy, Rusty & Magoo
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 04:02 PM
Elite Member

Awww! That's great news. Congrats on your leap forward

Amy and the dogs,

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

so we've had 2 walks today and about 1/2 hour of pool time and 20 minutes of fetch...I think we've covered exercise for one day...and I'm so happy...and she's exhausted..with a smile on her face
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned

nice turn around. keep training and socializing.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:54 PM

Great news! Glad the walk went well.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 06:57 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Wonderful news. All GSD puppies should come with an extra dose of patience for the mommies & daddies.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

depending on the weather again tomorrow...we'll probably head into town to one of the paths at least for 1 walk so we can have some exposure to distractions. Out here really the only distraction that bothers her are the occasional cars that go past us. I need dogs/people/kids/strollers/bikers/runners etc.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 08:02 PM

kudos to you!

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 11:12 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssa62 View Post

We did it...we took a walk out here in the addition. My son went with me..and he's more of a "stroller'..he smokes his pipe and looks at the trees and flowers ...so this worked out good for us.

I used the small bites of hot dog my vet tech friend suggested. Lured her out to the road with it...she stopped a couple of times and looked at the house but with the hot dog in front of her did not try to bolt back.

I worked on a "slow" command with her ..that if she was picking up speed and starting to pull we would say "slow" and she'd slow down and take her place back with is.
I also did a lot of walk/stop and sits/. Nice work! We got about a miles walk to and from. That was enough to start off with I think. We'll work up to the next mileage another time...once I get her ok to be out here walking and not being able to see the house.

nobody had their dogs out..I was really wishing they would have but most people are at work now and so dogs were in the houses. We'll have to do an evening stroll sometime.

I did use the comfort paws ( something like that) harness instead of the leash..I think that makes her feel more safe. I did order the martingale collar and am anxious for it to get here.

I am such a happy / content furmommy right now. I was so frustrated yesterday with all of it. I praised and praised while we were out. .and when we got home ( which I'm sure she wondered what I was still going on about since she was laying down)...but she just made me so happy and we had a great time while we were out. I want her to realize walks are a great thing.

thank you all for your tips and suggestions.
Very cool! As someone with a short temper myself, I understand the feel of the frustrations.

I was also going to suggest this....Welcome to RUN-Devue.com - P.A.C. Leader -  3 in 1 Custom Dog Leash

My 5 month old likes to pull with the neck collar leash. I got one of these at a dog show and he does much better. I don't know why but it worked. He still pulls alittle but it's not that constant pull. I've never been a fan of choke collars and spiked collars. Thats why I tried this one. I use it like a body harness. We start with walk training tomorrow night in class. It will be no leash walking. Will be interesting.

I'm glad it is working for you now. Walks are so much better when it's not a constant tug-o-war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page