Training fail - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Training fail

/trainer fail. So ive been bringing my girl to a local gsd club since 11 weeks, she just turned 6 months. The puppy training has been a ring of dog/handlers and the trainer calling out sit, heel,down etc, not much if any instruction on how to do each move, no marking good or bad behavior. Today I graduated to the novice class.
Ive seen the trainer from today at the club and a few weeks ago he told me ecollars arent allowed in the door, he relayed a story of a dog in an agility tunnel who got shocked and wouldnt go back in. Early on today Apache was not doing well, once in the ring she was finding crumbs from the previous class and not heeling well. The trainer told me "you have no focus from your dog" Which is the opposite of normal but I can agree at that point. Then he told me to get a prong collar, and im not against it but I was iffy because this is the guy who told me no ecollar. - his own dogs look completely shut down to me or else they are elderly. They just sit there and do nothing, look asleep with eyes open, and when I brought my puppy to class months ago his dogs would eat my puppy if I let her get near.
I think its time to stop going there even if its cheap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:28 PM
Crowned Member

Run!
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Elite Member

my trainer will not use prong collars or collars. It is also treat free training. She does demonstrate how to get the dog to do the command though and will come help if anyone is having problems with getting their dog to comply.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

The trainer also complained at me using treats to lead her heeling, I told him thats where we are at with our training and he said you wont always have treats, and theres 4 month olds who do great heeling- so I should use a prong to correct. I was thinking" I dont care and those dogs are being robbed of drive" She did great at the recall by staying until called the first time ever, usually she cant leave my side, and shes been the most enthusiastic at recall at every training. The second recall she wouldnt stay and I asked what he would do and he forced her into a sit pretty rough. And some of his terms like "finish" had completely different meaning than in the puppy class at the same place- youre right I need a different trainer.
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
The second recall she wouldnt stay and I asked what he would do and he forced her into a sit pretty rough.
The guy is supposed to be teaching something, instead he is losing the trust of the pup and affecting it's confidence in obedience by being rough.

The pup/dog must trust the handlers and feel safe in order to learn effectively. That trainer is simply gonna force the pup to do things.
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

A few weeks ago I stayed after my puppy class to watch the adult class. It was a different trainer and same situation, stay b4 recall. He forced a lab to sit between his legs, the labs tail was under itself, he was on his back all curled over. When that guy moved the dog did a backwards roll from sitting on his back
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:35 PM
Elite Member

And remember food is a great reward in training, at home and on walks. I don't understand why these 'trainers' don't like to use it. It is always good to reinforce what the dog knows and reward when it is correct.
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:49 PM
Knighted Member

As someone who has trained more than one GSD, I think classes are somewhat ambiguous.

What works for one dog is not going to work for a whole class of dogs. They are trying to find the most common denominator when teaching these classes and if they had a whole class of GSD's geared towards GSD's or a whole class of Lhasa Apso's geared to a whole class of Lhasa Apso's, I think everyone would come out ahead, but that's not where the money is, is it?

How can you teach a puppy class of several different breeds of dogs the same exact thing, let alone the same dog the same thing?

That is asinine to asume that you can train different breeds of puppy the same way, let alone dogs.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:53 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
He forced a lab to sit between his legs,
They are just over powering the dogs through force and not caring enough to nurture the dogs skills.

You can achieve much more on your own. There is no rush any ways. Enjoy your pup. Relax, research and realize what training methods work to give you the control you want while preserving the dogs spirit.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 10:58 PM
Banned

i always take private lessons before group classes. i think it's to many
distractions for a puppy in a group class. i add distractions slowly as the
pup makes progress with it's training.

Last edited by doggiedad; 05-26-2013 at 11:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page