It's been a while since I had a baby-puppy in training classes - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It's been a while since I had a baby-puppy in training classes

But last week I took the plunge once again. This pup's name is Karma. She and Kaiah were the last of a litter born on the 29th of January, and I figured it was high time I get one of them at least into classes.

Last week was punctuated by her pooping in the car on the way over. It was so bad, I had to stop at a rest stop and clean the crate and her, and we were late, and I came in flustered, and she came in barking, and well, we both settled down quite a bit by the end of the class.

My electricity went out a couple of days ago, and while I did reset my alarm clock, I failed to notice that I set the clock to 7PM instead of 7AM. I woke up at 10 after 8 and I had to leave at 8:30. Uhg!

I threw some food at the little baby puppies, took off Babs' diaper and let her out. Got dressed and put Babs' diaper on again and let her back in my room, and went out into the living room and through to Jenna's area and snagged Karma, put a leash on her and off we went.

I prayed all the way there that she would not poop in the car. And, there is a such thing as answered prayer. She did not poop. She piddled a little tiny bit. I was pulling in just as it was turning 9:30 so we weren't that late either.

But I was the last person in. The instructors weren't there, previous engagement, and they set up substitutes. Good because I hadn't practiced at all with her this week. Well, I went and sat in front of DrugMart last Saturday, and on Monday I took both she and Kaiah up to the lake where their older brother Woden lives. They had a blast for a couple of hours.

Anyhow, today's class. I wasn't sure if this should go into training or socialization. Frankly, I don't really care about the training part at all at this point. I am there for her to see people and puppies -- not to play with them, just to see them. I did manage to reduce a stick and a half of pupperoni into microscopic pieces and get them into her for sits and downs and walking.

Taking puppy classes with two bad knees, and way too much bulk is quite a challenge by itself, and then this lady is telling me to hold the leash in the right and the treats in the left. Doesn't she know that I suffer from being cooridinationally challenged??? Yeah, that did not work at all. My way, I had the pup on the left, walking and sitting when I stopped. What more do you want with a 14 week old pup that hasn't had any training???

But Karma was pretty good throughout, no barking -- yay! She pooped during the puppy potty break so that was good too. She did very well at the pass the puppy thing. But she did not really care for the tunnel. As I was last in line, I think the lady was a bit premature at not giving her ample opportunity to go through as she did with everyone else, but I was eager to keep things positive too, so I did not argue.

After class I stopped at my sister's and I introduced her to Andrea and Gwennie. I got here at noon. She's in my car in a crate. I will give her a break around 3pm and go sit in front of DrugMart for a few minutes. Then back in the car until I close at six.

The only really harrowing experience today was my dropping the lead when I went to load her up. No, she does not have any recall training yet, and she made a bee-line for a couple of ladies she had just met. I called over and asked them to step on the leash, which they did, so I got her back before she managed to get herself killed. The world is a perilous place for an untrained baby dog.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.

Last edited by selzer; 05-25-2013 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Knighted Member

Do you always plan to keep back a couple of pups from each litter? Or do a couple not sell, and you end up keeping them? Your signature line keeps getting longer and longer.

Your Karma and Kaiah are at the puppy age that I like the most. And I am spatially challenged as well. I feel your coordination pain. I have heard, "No, your other left" more than once in my life.
Sheilah
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-25-2013, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I don't sell them cheap, and sometimes they hang around longer. I do like to keep a pup back as I won't breed them all. So far out of that list, Jenna, Babs, Heidi, Odie, and Bear have been dogs I would breed, and Heidi never produced a litter and is too old now, so, yeah I have them. I train them and take them to shows and get titles on them, but they are not all for breeding. If the right home comes along, like it did with Rushie, I will sell an adult female that I washed out. It is harder with dogs I retire, because they are older and with each day I become more attached to them.

Occasionally people want an older dog that is trained. training can't hurt at this age. I put five puppies in the litter with Milla and Ninja through puppy classes before I sold them. Bear, Dolly, and Beansy also went to classes. The last couple of litters, it has been the boys that go lickety split, and the girls take a little longer.

I still plan to sell Karma and Kaiah, but I am ok either way.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page