How can I teach a 12 week old to ignore neighbor's aggressive barking bulldog? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Sri
Master Member

How can I teach a 12 week old to ignore neighbor's aggressive barking bulldog?

Our backyard neighbors have a 2 year old bulldog that is pretty aggressive. It stays in their house most of the day(they go to work) but they let it out for it to do its business. It rushes to the fence barking and pretty much has an aggressive demeanor, and the owners can't quiet him.

I try to limit our puppy's off leash playtime in the yard to their work hours and never take it in the backyard without a leash when I know they are home. Which is a bummer since the kids cant use the backyard to play with our pup. And that would have been a good exercise time for him.

But what I am most concerned about is this still has impacted how Frodo(our pup) reacts to dogs now. He used to be pretty much calm and friendly around other dogs.

How can I train him to ignore this incessantly barking dog? And I am hoping this will also help him learn to be calm around other dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 PM

I wouldn't avoid it at all. You can't teach him to ignore it unless you expose him to it. I intentionally walk my 15 week old past a very noisy neighbor dog that's in an outside run. Also down another road with three small yappy dogs that roam freely. After just a few walks, Zula now pretty much ignores them. High value treats and lots of love and praise when he watches you and doesn't react.

You need a command to associate the behavior with, I use "leave it".

As a side note the three small dogs have given up on barking at Zula since she quit barking back.

Last edited by Crewchef; 05-23-2013 at 05:41 PM.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Sri
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewchef View Post
I wouldn't avoid it at all. You can't teach him to ignore it unless you expose him to it. I intentionally walk my 15 week old past a very noisy neighbor dog that's in an outside run. Also down another road with three small yappy dogs that roam freely. After just a few walks, Zula now pretty much ignores them. High value treats and lots of love and praise when he watches you and doesn't react.

You need a command to associate the behavior with, I use "leave it".

As a side note the three small dogs have given up on barking at Zula since she quit barking back.
I will take a deep breath and try walking him back and forth along the fence then .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 PM

May be better to start out on the other side of the yard. Once he can ignore at a distance you can start moving closer to the distraction. Final proof will be walking along the fence without reaction. Make sure you use high value treats not the same old thing you use for sit, down, etc.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2013, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Sri
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewchef View Post
May be better to start out on the other side of the yard. Once he can ignore at a distance you can start moving closer to the distraction. Final proof will be walking along the fence without reaction. Make sure you use high value treats not the same old thing you use for sit, down, etc.
Noted. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page