Seems to NOT want to do anything - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 08:25 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Seems to NOT want to do anything

Well Penny and I were making great strides... We came second in basic obedience class and was doing so good, but over the last I dunno 2 weeks or so she wont do ANYTHING!

Penny looks at me like I have 5 heads when I give her a command and then tries to walk off, so I give a small correction and give the command and she still refuses I give a bit more of a correction and she still ignores me till I have to actually put her in the position like platz or sitz. She was staying like a champ and not budging even after I leave a room and come back she would be in the same spot... As for coming when called forget it she ignore me so back on the long line for now.

Why is she all the sudden not listening to anything? Im getting frustrated because we were doing so well and even with treats she is still refusing, ive tried her favorite toy and still nothing.

We had training class on Sunday evening and I was SO embarrassed and ended up giving up half way through class, she is normally a star pupil (as her trainer would call her) and she would NOT do anything, she is always the one to stay for the longest amount of time and would stay even with me out of sight and I would put her in a sit stay and I would get one or two steps and she would start to follow me. And she was even more solid on her down stay and same thing would get a few steps away and there she was at my side...

Can anyone explain what is going on? Why is my puppy all the sudden not listening... Its just so frustrating my trainer says she is still young and will have days like this but she has been refusing commands for at least 2 weeks now, I know there can be bad days but bad weeks on end? Can anyone shed some light on this?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012

Last edited by mandiah89; 05-21-2013 at 08:33 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 08:37 AM

I would give her a break with the obedience and do some FUN stuff, your trainer is right, some days are good, some they'll look at you like they have no clue.

Even try ignoring HER for a few days, dogs do not like being ignored

But, I would up the fun stuff, and forego the obedience,,some dogs get very bored with constant obedience (not saying that's whats happening)

If you think she's "off" maybe something medical going on??

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
I would give her a break with the obedience and do some FUN stuff, your trainer is right, some days are good, some they'll look at you like they have no clue.

Even try ignoring HER for a few days, dogs do not like being ignored

But, I would up the fun stuff, and forego the obedience,,some dogs get very bored with constant obedience (not saying that's whats happening)

If you think she's "off" maybe something medical going on??

I cant really give her a break right now, we have 4 weeks to go in our advanced obedience class and I dont want to really lose that time and in 4 weeks we will have the test/graduation from advanced class and I dont want to have to pay for the class and do everything all over again (which I wont be able to do with this trainer as after this class is done she wont be doing any more classes this year as she will be focusing on her dogs because she does SAR and needs to work them and wont have time to do any classes till next spring)

We do a lot of fun stuff I take her everyday to play with 1 or all 3 of the dogs we routinely have playdates with (another GSD, a golden retriever and a chocolate lab) We also play with her flirt pole for about half hour everyday noramally two times about 15 mins each session and I also play tug with her and sometimes "play fight" with her where Ill get down on the ground with her and wrestle (and no I dont play too rough).

As for medically she doesnt seem off except for her obedience. She still has lots of energy, plays and acts like a normal puppy/dog and she is eating and drinking fine and removing waste fine so I dont really think there is anything medically wrong with her, but I will call my vet and ask for a check up just to make sure.

Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Crowned Member

Obedience can be boring for sure, I would continue with short and very upbeat sessions. Hopefully it'll be just a phase that'll pass soon

I also found Delgado responds better to several quick obedience sessions throughout the day rather then one or two formal sessions. For instance when we play with the flirt pole we do a quick 2-3 minute session, 15 minutes with the flirt pole, then another 2-3 minute. Or before breakfast or dinner he does puppy pushups (mean mommy I know ). When we play tug or fetch we mix obedience in with the play

You get the point

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:39 AM

What I meant was, sorry I wasnt clearer Continue with your obed classes, forget the obedience training at home) OR do one really fast short session daily,,Treat and PRAISE HIGHLY

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 AM
Crowned Member

Are you using a tug to build drive before you begin your sessions? And what are you rewarding her with? Quitting during a session doesn't help, better to step back, do something very simple and end it on a positive note-not a frustrating one.
Engagement is key to keep her with you, so either tease her up with food or a tug, and make her drive into you for her rewards...chase the food while you move your hand around.

Could she be going into heat?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Are you using a tug to build drive before you begin your sessions? And what are you rewarding her with? Quitting during a session doesn't help, better to step back, do something very simple and end it on a positive note-not a frustrating one.
Engagement is key to keep her with you, so either tease her up with food or a tug, and make her drive into you for her rewards...chase the food while you move your hand around.

Could she be going into heat?
I either play tug with her or do her flirt pole to get her amped up before training.. Her rewards are with that Roll over stuff she loves it but hasnt really been taking it the last week and a half to two weeks... Tried some freeze dried liver that worked when she was a young pup but doesnt have much interest in that either.

We did kinda end on a positive note on Sunday we stopped in the middle of class and just focused on heeling while the other dogs and their owners were doing down on recall and down from front (which Penny still hasnt wanted to try as we started learning this when she started to get into this "I dont want to do it" or "I dont know how to do it" (not sure which this is.. she knows her verbal and hand signals for platz and sitz she just doens do it) so after they were done that we started doing retrieve over jump (I thought we were going to be doing a 2ft jump as thats what the trainer had said but the jump bar is literally not even 3 inches off the ground Penny can walk right over it) and she has had no interest in the dumbbell so I brought the toy that goes on the end of her flirt pole and told her to sits and to stay and throw the toy over the jump then release her to get it and she did that a few times flawlessly was the only dog to not lunge after the "item" that needed to be retrieved. So she did end on a positive note I guess.

As for if she is going into heat Im really not sure, I have never had a female dog that was not fixed before their first heat, Diesel was fixed two weeks after her last shots so around 5.5 months so never experienced it and although I have been doing reading Im still not sure... She isnt swollen "down there" and there is no discharge. But she has had appetite change in the last two weeks she wont eat in the mornings only at night before bed. And in our training class there are 3 unaltered male dogs, a spayed female dog, and Penny who is unaltered and this week when we joined the group at the dog park (the trainer owns the dog park and thats where we do training in the agility ring) she seems scared? of the other dogs which isnt like her she kept hiding behind me and the trainer and the male dogs wouldnt leave her be and she had her tail tucked under her belly but after a while she started to chase the males and bite their back ends if they came close to her which again is out of character for her... But I dont know if this is saying she is coming into heat when i dont see any physical signs that she is... Help? lol

EDIT: I will also mention she is sleeping A LOT when we are not actually doing anything which is also out of character she is normally a very high energy and doesnt stop from the moment she wakes in the morning till the moment she drops at night time with maybe an hour or so nap in the after noon but the last week she has been sleeping mostly all through the day will be up for a few hours running about with her normal energy and then crashes again for the rest of the night, but i take her to play with her doggy friends and she still has the energy and lasts just as long but in the house she seemed to have really calmed down the last week

Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

Last edited by mandiah89; 05-21-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page