carrying puppies trains later problems? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
x11
Banned

carrying puppies trains later problems?

just a theory, i have been watching some pets here and the owners insist on carrying their puppy everywhere like it's a hooman baby, these pups are a few months old now and the same owners are getting overwhelmed with the typical puppy "bad"/unwanted behaviours that get posted about here endlessly, eg jumping up, nipping ...etc.

could there be a link between positively reinforcing a baby puppy to jump and climb all over you which later translates to problems (handler created) in the land shark phase??

personally i detest puppies and never carry them anywhere. they don't jump all over me now i think as a result of never reinforcing the behaviour.

just a thought.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 07:46 PM

Sounds like it would cause an issue and yes I would link the two together however as for the carrying I have to carry my pup up the stairs so not to stress his structure on the stairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
just a theory, i have been watching some pets here and the owners insist on carrying their puppy everywhere like it's a hooman baby, these pups are a few months old now and the same owners are getting overwhelmed with the typical puppy "bad"/unwanted behaviours that get posted about here endlessly, eg jumping up, nipping ...etc.

could there be a link between positively reinforcing a baby puppy to jump and climb all over you which later translates to problems (handler created) in the land shark phase??

personally i detest puppies and never carry them anywhere. they don't jump all over me now i think as a result of never reinforcing the behaviour.

just a thought.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
x11
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by curedba View Post
Sounds like it would cause an issue and yes I would link the two together however as for the carrying I have to carry my pup up the stairs so not to stress his structure on the stairs
sounds like an overly simple theory but all the little things add up in puppy raising imo.

lol, stairs. i did not realise stairs were so bad for pups untill i took my boy when he was a pup to a the local show club and threw a ball up a flight of stairs without thinking anything of it, pup went full tilt up and down the stairs after it - the TD and club members reaction was hysterical, like i was beating my puppy with a stick for no reason, i was like this is a joke right? but nope it was serious.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Crowned Member

Never had a problem. I carried him on stairs and sometimes just because he was so cute. He doesn't jump up on anyone.
I think it reinforces the fact that he trusts me to handle him in a lot of ways.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
x11
Banned

i'm all for conditioning yr dog to be handled all over, they got to go to a vet some time, and i ask strangers (to the dog) to handle them, but i think that is different?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

I wish I could carry all of my adult dogs, just in case. I never carried them much as pups and they weren't use to that type handling. Though 2 of my dogs are over 90# so me carrying them would be a challenge, but I'd want them compliant enough regardless. As it is, there is no way my dogs would allow me to throw them over my shoulders if they needed transporting...unless they were knocked out!
I don't see a reason NOT to do it when they are babies and learn to trust.
K9 teams should implement that exercise often in their training.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
x11
Banned

is there a difference in training it as a command and the typical free for all puppy jumping/climbing all over the handler?

i only want to tease this out cos i don't want newbs reading this and taking away bad info that i put up with good intentions, so call it wrong if it is wrong please.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Crowned Member

I think some pups are just mouthier, because they don't have bite inhibition....and then it may translate over later in drive leaking and balance.
I don't think carrying a pup has anything to do with the landshark stage. And of course it depends on the handlers input on managing their pup.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 03:33 PM
KYH

I'm sure with the right training, you can still carry your dog but teach it not to jump. I don't know why carrying would be associated with biting/landshark stage. I think its like anything else - my dog loves to run but he knows when to stop and how to walk appropriately.

I think getting them used to being carried is a good thing just in case something serious happens and they need to be carried either by the owner or an emergency responder. I carry my 14wk old pup outside sometimes if hes super tired and I worry he'll fall down the stairs, or when the cats get in the way and neither one of them backs down. He tolerates it but he prefers to walk. He never jumps up on people either, but he knows its okay to come lay/sit on your lap if you open your arms and say his name.

Now if I could only fit both my GSD and toddler in my purse lol I'd be much happier never letting them walk anywhere at this age
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
is there a difference in training it as a command and the typical free for all puppy jumping/climbing all over the handler?

i only want to tease this out cos i don't want newbs reading this and taking away bad info that i put up with good intentions, so call it wrong if it is wrong please.
There is a difference between carrying a pup and letting him climb all over you.
They should allow you to carry and hold them without a struggle. I would never allow a pup to climb or crawl over me, physically and mentally, no matter how cute they are.
It is good that they learn to be held and carried, even by strangers (in owner's presence) and at the vet clinic. As an old dog they will probably encounter that at some point or in case of an accident where strangers have to pitch in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page