Changing Potty Location - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

Changing Potty Location

Firstly, Hello from Australia. My name is Phill. I have a 9 1/2 week old GSD named Koopa. He's a talker! :P

Straight to the chase, got him home two days ago, let him have a look around the house and then when I thought he was a little excited I took him out the side (backyard). He had a pee and everything was going great. Then I introduced him to the doggy door (it's from our last dog and other dog we still have) and like we expect them to, he learnt it's purpose straight away!

Now I'm keeping a good eye on him and he's only done accidents inside when I haven't been paying attention, the problem is, he's fast, he's fun and he knows how to use that doggy door.

When I take him out the side to the toilet when he wakes up or after a meal or after a play, it's a race between him and I to the doggy door (so i can block it and then ignore him)... I have been out there for 30 mins once and nothing... So I picked him up, and carried him out the front to a different section of grass and within seconds, he went to the toilet. I praised him regardless because he did it outside and not inside.

Out the front is becoming the place for him to go potty (he is starting to run down to the front of the house already), but I want him to use the side garden like originally. He's not crate trained, because I trained him to utilise his own 'den' (a large dog bed with all his toys, some hidden treats and a clock under his blanket) - which he loves and is always playing there.. he actually slept from 1am to 7am this morning until we woke him up...

I guess my question is only about the toilet training... Do I lock the doggy door while i put him out the side to use the toilet because i don't want to confuse my other (older) dog or is there something else I can do?

P.S. He's not trained on a leash yet. He doesn't wear a collar as I plan on associating his collar and leash (30ft) with other activities.

Looking forward to and open to any of your advice.

Phill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 12:32 AM

Russell (11 weeks old) loves to race in and out of the dog door too. He thinks it's great fun.

I close the dog door before going outside with him, otherwise he'll just go back inside. My other dogs just have to deal with the door closed for a few minutes. Once Russell has gone, then I open the dog door back up, and they all can continue running in and out.

If he doesn't go to the bathroom, I just bring him in, watch him for a few minutes and then try the whole process again.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 12:53 AM
Elite Member

I would leash him anyway.
Why do you not want him associating a collar and leash with going outside to use the bathroom?? It's not like that's a bad thing, that will be the fastest way to show him one spot. Just a little confused thats all, there is always a time when people need their dogs to be able to pee/poo while leashed - if you go on a trip, a car ride where you need to stop,etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
Why do you not want him associating a collar and leash with going outside to use the bathroom?? It's not like that's a bad thing, that will be the fastest way to show him one spot. Just a little confused thats all, there is always a time when people need their dogs to be able to pee/poo while leashed - if you go on a trip, a car ride where you need to stop,etc.
True. I take Russell to work with me every day, so he has to go out on a leash to pee/poop. It's very handy when you stay in a hotel, go to a dog show, etc...

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-2013, 02:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
Thanks for the prompt replies! It's not that I don't want to it's just that I never did, but I guess every dog is different. I think I'll incorporate both options where I close the doggy door AND ill leash him. Going to the toilet isn't a negative thing and I guess me controlling his actions with the leash is also asserting my authority over him and helping him learn a little quicker too.

Looking forward to this adventure. It's great to see there are a lot of people that I can share it with!

Phill & Koopa.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page