Need help with potty training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Need help with potty training

I got my puppy at 9 weeks and he is now 11 weeks. I have had a issue with potty training since I got him. He used to go in the house. When he pooped he sometimes would eat it as well. He would go outside come in and within 20 minutes poop in the house. I got really mad at him the last time he did it and have not had a problem with him pooping in the house since. He will whine and go by the door or walk around and sniff and I know he needs to go out. But with peeing it is a completely different story. I have gotten just as mad at him about peeing as pooping and he still does it. He doesnt sniff around before peeing either. He pees standing up like he is just standing still so I have no warning til its too late.
He sometimes pees these little spots even though I know his bladder is way bigger. And will not pee outside when I take him out right after that.
I do have a fenced in yard with a gate. The gate is open most of the day so I have him on leash and he will go potty. When I do let him run around with the gate closed, he does not go potty. When it is time to go inside, he comes, and within 20 minutes there is pee in the house.
He is crate trained. He does not go at all in his crate. He sleeps through the night. From 10pm or 11pm to 5am or 6am. Or around those times. Then he wakes up and will whine to wake me up to let me know he needs to go outside. And when he does go outside to pee it is like a river so I know that he can hold it.
Please help. If you have any ideas or solutions or input that may help I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:24 AM
Elite Member

It took a while to potty train mine. I never got really mad at him. I just used the spot bot a lot and kept showing him where to go potty. One day it clicked. I wouldn't expect an 11 week old to be potty trained.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:27 AM

My puppy is 11 weeks old too. He plays hard, and drinks alot of water, so I take him out constantly to pee. I know if my puppy is out playing in the yard, he doesn't think about peeing - he is thinking about playing. When he comes back in, I watch him for a few minutes, and then take him back out to pee. No playing, just pee time.

Getting mad at him for peeing isn't going to work. He's a baby. He just has to get into the habit of going outside to pee. I practically throw a party for Russell every time he pees outside. "Good dog Russell, good pee outside!"

If Russell pees in the house, it's because I wasn't paying close enough attention. Right now all my dogs are crated (with antlers and bully sticks) because I'm trying to watch a basketball game. I can't watch the pee-monster while I'm glued to this game...

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 12:30 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

It can take weeks and weeks to train some dogs.

I recommend crate training to make it easier and faster... plus clearer to your puppy.

Click this ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...uppy-cage.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for the comments.
He does know where to go potty because we go in the same area every time and he has also learned the command "go potty". He almost always goes outside when I say it.
I did not even think to separate play time and potty time. I guess that does make sense. Thank you. I will start bringing him in waiting a few minutes with close watch and taking him back outside on leash to go potty.
I do believe he knows that he is suppose to go outside though. So what is a good way I could try to teach him to let me know he needs to pee because he will whine for poop or if he is in the crate and has to go. I have tried a bell but he didnt seem to like it. Any other suggestions?
I understand completely putting him in the crate when I cannot keep a real close eye on him like to watch a show or do something etc. It would stop the accidents in the house almost completely. But I did not want him in the crate often or too much.

He will not poop if anyone else takes him outside except for me unless he really really has to go. Is this normal?
He used to do this with pee too but not anymore.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page