My puppy eats her poops - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

My puppy eats her poops

Hello, my puppy eats her poops and pees and poops inside the house... So today I Saw her eating her poop. I took her and beat her butt then she decided not to come to me anymore she is 10 weeks ... Help plz!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:07 PM

Don't beat her for it, you're doing more harm than good! I'm not an expert by any means but some dogs eat their own poop as a natural defense mechanism. By eating(removing) the poop, in their mind they are protecting themselves from predators finding them in their home environment. This was how it was explained to me...

There are several threads on the subject, just do a quick search for the right keywords and you should be set!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Crowned Member

Firstly, she's a little baby at 10 weeks old. You can't expect her to know wrong from right and beating her doesn't solve anything but hurt her and make her scared of you

If she's eating her own poop, clean it up right away. Carry a bag with you even if it's in the backyard and once she's done bag it and throw it into a garbage can

As for the house training, she needs to go out at least once a hour until she gets the idea that going outside is where she needs to go. Walk her around and as soon as she goes she gets huge party thrown with lots of praise and treats. If she has a accident in the house and you don't see her, simply clean it up, it's your fault for not watching her close enough. You can use a crate or xpen when she's not being watched, or use a leash to keep her with you so you can watch her. It's a good way to learn the dog's signals and you can run her outside before accidents happen.

She needs to go out immediately after eating, drinking, playing, or waking up. No 5 minute or longer wait, she gets scooped up and brought outside.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

K thank you so much for the ideas... The question now is will she be okay with me? Because she is still scared and and not answering me

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 06:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
K thank you so much for the ideas... The question now is will she be okay with me? Because she is still scared and and not answering me

That incident has made a big impression on her as for her you jut turned into some scary monster. She didn't know that she did something wrong. Now she needs to learn that you are back to being OK. Leash her so she cannot flee. Reward her with treats and hand feed her for a day or so until she starts to trust you again. Make sure you are tons of fun for her.
She may have learned to not pee or poop when you see it. If you find an"accident" it is because she learned that she cannot do it in your presence; it is not revenge or stupidity. Puppies need constant supervision unless they are crated.
Get this book: "The perfect Puppy" from Gwen Bailey. That will help you.

Last edited by wolfy dog; 05-13-2013 at 06:29 PM.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-13-2013, 08:24 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Eating her poop is not a life or death thing. Some dogs do it, because their diet is missing something. Some because it tastes good. Some out of habit. So eating poop won't kill your puppy even if it grosses us out. Fiona who is almost a year still sometimes eats her poop. I clean up immediately, but a night she can go on the balcony and then has the opportunity to eat it.

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 PM

She will come around to you. As it has been said, she is a baby. Don't hit her for it.
She could be eating it be ause she is not getting enough food or nutritious food. So what kind of food is he eating? She wouldn't be out of your sight so beat her to the punch and pick it up before she can get to it.

Carl

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-26-2013, 05:49 PM

My dog had the same issue. It may have come from not enough praising him when he would yelp in the crate to let us know that he had to go out. I was more focused on associating the "Empty" command with going outside I guess.... but it's hard to be jovial at 4 am! So I think that my removing the poop almost immediately in front of him made him think that I was dissatisfied and he didn't like that, so he removed his own the only way he knows how... eating it.

Praising him more and treating him when he came inside, also waiting to clean up the yard when he wasn't around helped. But the biggest tip we got was to feed him a couple slices of fresh pineapple. The citrus made the poop less palatable (I would never think it was palatable in the first place) and he soon ceased this activity. By soon I mean about a month.

And remember, the biggest part of training a puppy is patience, patience, patience. At 10 weeks she is a baby, and wants to please you. Physical aggression will not be taken as intended, and she'll only see it as random violence because she doesn't know any other way. 10-15 minutes of training a day, with plenty of patience and praise for her positive actions, will make others marvel at how well behaved your girl is.

Please be patient. It will pay off a hundred-fold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page