Unlimited water when house-training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

Unlimited water when house-training?

When house-training (I have a 10 week old), do you give unlimited water throughout the day, or do you limit water? I'm giving unlimited water, but he drinks all day long, which means he potties all day long. I'm talking every hour. I expected this before I got a puppy, so I'm not put out by it, but I was wondering if it is making it more difficult for him to house-train because I know he can't hold his bladder for long.
I can't put him in a kennel right now because we are staying in a hotel because we are travelling with my husband for work, so I keep him close to me at all times. I never have the problem of taking him out and him not pottying immediately, and I do that hourly or when I see him start to wake up from a nap. However, I am still finding little wet spots on the floor. I have no idea how I'm not catching him in the act, but I'm failing somehow, lol. So, that's why I'm wondering if I should limit his water intake?
Thanks so much!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:46 AM

Why cant you put him in a kennel? I stay in hotels with my dogs and their kennels never an issue. IMO - I give a dog I am trying to potty train water with his potty breaks. I give them an opportunity to drink before we go potty and then take them out to potty. I make sure they are well hydrated (check gum color / skin bounce back / watch their abdomen) but do not give free range of water (unless I am not there to give it regularly)
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:49 AM

Hey! I have a 10 week old GSD cross and he drinks water like its going out of fashion! We've started restricting it as he makes himself bloat because they don't yet know when their tummy is full or when they've had enough. I give my puppy water with his breakfast, some more around lunchtime and then one last bowl at 5-6pm with his dinner. This limits the amount he needs to go during the night too! So far he's up and out of his crate twice a night to wee and that's it. I'd try limiting the water as bloating tummy isn't fun for the pup!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 10:51 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

One of the many reasons I crate train is because it is so much EASIER when traveling! so much easier to clean out a crate then the carpeting. So buy that crate and start up, keep it right beside the bed at night.

Frankly, I'd buy a huge tarp for the floor so the cleanup is SUPER easy and you can hear the peeing to get a correction in my timely.

Once you start crate training this is so much easier. The hints and tips for watering are all --> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...uppy-cage.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel and Lace View Post
Why cant you put him in a kennel? I stay in hotels with my dogs and their kennels never an issue. IMO - I give a dog I am trying to potty train water with his potty breaks. I give them an opportunity to drink before we go potty and then take them out to potty. I make sure they are well hydrated (check gum color / skin bounce back / watch their abdomen) but do not give free range of water (unless I am not there to give it regularly)
We came straight from the breeder to the hotel, so he wasn't kennel trained. I tried putting him in the kennel when we got here, but his whining got us a warning. We are staying on a military post at the army's expense, so getting kicked out or arguing with the management is not an option.

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:36 AM

I have a 10 wk also but all my dogs when they were puppies had limited water.. Karma the 10 wk old has limited bc she will drink and drink and constantly pee.. So I limit it for morning and then when I get home from work also.. And then at night. She is doing really good with potty training!!

ARES-GSD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIZMO-****zu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ares God Of War View Post
I have a 10 wk also but all my dogs when they were puppies had limited water.. Karma the 10 wk old has limited bc she will drink and drink and constantly pee.. So I limit it for morning and then when I get home from work also.. And then at night. She is doing really good with potty training!!

That is how Barron is: drinking and peeing all day long ;-) I think I will try limiting his water.

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella-Girl View Post
We came straight from the breeder to the hotel, so he wasn't kennel trained. I tried putting him in the kennel when we got here, but his whining got us a warning. We are staying on a military post at the army's expense, so getting kicked out or arguing with the management is not an option.

I live on base as well which can be hard with kennel training and letting them self sooth. Offer her something to distract her BEFORE the behavior starts dont give it to her after she starts whining / carrying on. Feed her food in there and her water in there. Leave it up so that she can see it and not feel like it is punishment. Put her in there and dont lock her in at first just let her check it out. When she goes in willingly reward her like crazy make it the best thing that has ever happened! Try giving her a kong with her kibble in it in there so it takes her longer and while she is distracted close the door. As soon as she is done take her out to potty and dont let her get to the whining stage. I have a 84lb one I am trying to crate train on base.... His bark rattles my windows it has not been easy so I understand where you are coming from!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 PM

If they are going every hour at 10 weeks old you are pretty lucky. My pup was still at every 15 minutes at that age.

Athena -GSD- born 12/13/12
Luna -Shepherd Mix- born 3/20/99
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Banned

My pup was house trained at 11 weeks. She has always had water and food available. She learned that it was always there so she didn't feel she had to try and get all she could because it was going to be taken away.
House training is about learning self-control and a desire to please. My opinion is that the only way to teach them is to catch them in the act, say NO and carry them outside immediately ... followed by praise and reward when they go outside. My pup only made one mistake (of each type) in the house. Maybe I was just lucky. She is almost 4 now and she has never asked to go outside. She knows that we will let/take her out often enough and she just holds it until then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page