Last and final thread on recall training..PROMISE! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

Last and final thread on recall training..PROMISE!

Its getting to the point where i really wished i trained kai on recall earlier. But due to issues i couldnt.

Kai is good on recall in the garden and house but its outside with distractions

Im going to buy a long dog lead and take him to a park early in the morning so its empty and teach him there with the lead trailing on the floor.

lead!; im looking on ebay and im not sure what size to buy, 10,20,30,40ft?! also a tracking lead or webbing? ill paste links here

30ft Long Dog and Horse Training Lunge Lead Webbing | eBay

Dog Training Tracking Lead Long Line Lead 10m 15m Recall Obedience Hunting Prey | eBay

Kai is 1. Im planning on calling him and if he doesnt come ill tug the lead then treat him when he comes.

Then ill drop the lead and do the same thing.

I'll be using normal training treats

anyone got any more advice for me? im planning to go to the park at least twice a week and spend an hour there (i know its long for a dog but i'll bring a ball/football(soccer for the americans XD).

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Crowned Member

High value toys or treats, and be peppy. Don't repeat anything more than once and don't even say his name if you know he's not paying attention. Running in the opposite direction can help.

More than 20ft at least. The rest doesn't matter.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:41 PM
Knighted Member

Restrained recall. Have a harness on him and someone holding him back, really "fighting" him and getting him worked up. You call him, the second he pulls against the harness they release and he should shoot to you. Then treat treat trwat and reward like mad when he gets to you

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 - '15
Luther
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:42 PM
Knighted Member

Also after you call, RUN. When he reaches you a couple treats and then RUN. Couple more treats, RUN. Then stop and treat and praise. Its now becoming a very rewarding game. You are engaging him and becoming more enticing than his environment.

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 04:48 PM

I wouldn't buy the second link you posted. If this one slips through your hands or wraps around your feet it burns like **** (I'm speaking from experience)!

I wouldn't feed him before going to the park and take some tasty treats with me.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis_Star View Post
Also after you call, RUN. When he reaches you a couple treats and then RUN. Couple more treats, RUN. Then stop and treat and praise. Its now becoming a very rewarding game. You are engaging him and becoming more enticing than his environment.

If you use this method, be sure to fade it fast. I know a few dogs now in classes who are dependent on having someone to chase in order to come and will not come to a stationary human.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice, I like the idea of someone holding him getting him 'wanting' to come

Anyone got any more advice
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Crowned Member

I like to do restrained recalls as well. You can see one at the end of this video with my puppy. I also like to play two ball, where I throw the ball in one direction and call her back by using the other ball as a reward. I believe that's also in this video.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

So today was kai's first time on recall training, I used a 100ft lead . we went to osterly park which is just a massive park with a lake running all the way round, its full of dogs and joggers

There was a group of dogs including 3 gsds, i went over and said hello, they persuaded me to let kai loose to play with the dogs, i was so nervous but i did it!! first time ever of the lead in a park, He did well stayed with the other dogs, and did come back after a few calls.

We then went off on our own i attatched the 100ft lead on and let him do his own thing, i called him and treated when he came, if he did not come i would slowly jog back, this got his attention and he came running

It was a good day and we both enjoyed ourself. gonna try do this twice every week
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page