clicker training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

clicker training

Just started my 4 month old on clicker training. Been loading the clicker with her twice a day for 3 days now. I load it 10-20 times each session. Every now and then when shes not looking I click to see if shes loaded yet and not seeing anything. Tips, advice?

Hannah
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/05/2013

"With God as my leader and my dog as my companion"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 06:21 PM
Crowned Member

How long does it take you to feed 10-20 treats in your session? It should take you 10-20 seconds. I suspect you may be doing it too slow.

Further, I'm not so sure I'd test the clicker by randomly clicking to see if she looks. Why bother? Just load up the clicker at the beginning of your training session, and then start training. She should catch on in no time at all.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:15 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I personally don't bother to load the clicker anymore - I did the first time I used one, but now I just mark and reward any behavior my puppy offers spontaneously. It just makes sense to me to click/treat SOMETHING rather than nothing, and believe my, they figure out pretty darn quick what behaviors will earn a reward! This technique is called "capturing". You're not giving any commands, since obviously the puppy doesn't know them yet anyway, just reinforcing behaviors you like and want to encourage more of. I do eye contact, coming towards me, sits, and downs, that sort of thing. The more I reward, the more the puppy offers them behaviors, and then I can start to name them.

But in any case, if you've had 6 training sessions of loading, that should be plenty. As Willy suggested, there may be something wrong with your technique. I agree that randomly clicking to see if she looks at you is probably not doing you any good.

Are you training her before meals, when she's hungry? Are you using treats that she likes? Does she seem interested in training and engaged with you, or does she seem bored?

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 11:22 PM
Crowned Member

Another question.... Are you clicking, THEN treating? Make sure they are two separate occurrences.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2013, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
How long does it take you to feed 10-20 treats in your session? It should take you 10-20 seconds. I suspect you may be doing it too slow.

Further, I'm not so sure I'd test the clicker by randomly clicking to see if she looks. Why bother? Just load up the clicker at the beginning of your training session, and then start training. She should catch on in no time at all.
Yes 10-20 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
I personally don't bother to load the clicker anymore - I did the first time I used one, but now I just mark and reward any behavior my puppy offers spontaneously. It just makes sense to me to click/treat SOMETHING rather than nothing, and believe my, they figure out pretty darn quick what behaviors will earn a reward! This technique is called "capturing". You're not giving any commands, since obviously the puppy doesn't know them yet anyway, just reinforcing behaviors you like and want to encourage more of. I do eye contact, coming towards me, sits, and downs, that sort of thing. The more I reward, the more the puppy offers them behaviors, and then I can start to name them.

But in any case, if you've had 6 training sessions of loading, that should be plenty. As Willy suggested, there may be something wrong with your technique. I agree that randomly clicking to see if she looks at you is probably not doing you any good.

Are you training her before meals, when she's hungry? Are you using treats that she likes? Does she seem interested in training and engaged with you, or does she seem bored?
I randomly click to see if she she associated the noise with the treat. Just what Ive read to do. I only do it once.

yes she loves the treats and shes always watching me and wanting to enteract. No boredom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagsd View Post
Another question.... Are you clicking, THEN treating? Make sure they are two separate occurrences.
Yes

I will just stop the loading and just train. This clicker training/positive reinforcement is a new concept to me

Hannah
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
1/05/2013

"With God as my leader and my dog as my companion"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 02:44 PM

I started using a clicker on my 4 month old and have seen some positive results. The one problem I had is that the treats I was giving him were too chewy and he would spend more time chewing then focusing on me. I have since switched to sliced pieces of chicken based hotdogs. He can swallow them quick.

Raider Vom Geisterholz AKC GSD 2/26/2012
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2013, 03:01 PM
Knighted Member

I never just randomly clicked I would click for seeing a behavior I want.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page