Aggression while eating or snacking. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Aggression while eating or snacking.

My 1 year old male, yet again. He displays high amounts of aggression while he is eating. If at all, is there a way to get him to drop this attitude?

Last edited by lhczth; 05-06-2013 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Fixing title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM
x11
Banned

snaking??

in what context is he showing agression? my dogs may or may not be agressive while eating i am never near them to find out. i place their food and let them eat in peace??
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

I meant to say snacking, he will growl and even try to land a bite. He gets aggressive when he's chewing on a toy or a bone. I just don't want younger members of my family to get bit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 10:14 PM
x11
Banned

feed him in a separate room/outside until he is done at least in the short term for safety.

keep young members right away to you get a handle on it. never leave free access to toys.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 11:42 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Looking at your prior posts, it seems you just rescued this dog?

Look thru this thread on the 2 week shut down. It is a debate on the pros and cons of this method. This may be a good idea for your dog while he gets use to your home.

Next feed him in his crate, leave him in peace. If he gets a toy or a bone, do the same thing. The whole idea is to let him settle.

Read this page: Food Guarding . Safe way to work with your dog on his food guarding.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Yes you are right. I rescued him just a few days ago. I took his bone away and I'm keeping it reserved as a reward. I was also told by the rescue agency to spray him with vinegar if he acts up in his crate. Any other tips before the hammer comes down??
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 01:47 AM

I would not spray my dog with vinegar ever. That could burn their eyes. You should be looking at ways to make the crate a good place. You should train with positive rewards while you and this new dog are bonding. I would not take his bone away without a treat as trade for now. Watch him carefully with your children as he is new to your family. Do NILF also.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for this. I didn't trust that tip and I was waiting for the first no before i brain dumped it. I'm really good at rewarding him, it's just difficult because he is older and the rescue didn't know his past. He's a huge ham and great with people, he just doesn't know a name and is super aggressive with other animals.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 09:50 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Agree with no vinegar. You want this period of time to be for building the relationship between the 2 of you and gaining his trust.

Normally a good way to help a pup learn his name is to say his name and when he looks at you immediately, toss a treat. With the food aggression you are describing, that may be difficult. Try instead using a marker - yes - and follow the same method.

NILIF and another version of it - Mind Games

This link is actually in response to a Cesar Millan episode - Mindful Leadership: Resource Aggression - there is some excellent advice in the article dealing with Resource Aggression.

During these first couple of weeks while your dog is settling in, use the time to locate a trainer/behaviorist in your area. You have several different issues going on that you are going to have to get on top of.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-06-2013, 12:26 PM

Not sure why no one else has mentioned this yet..but the easiest way to prevent food aggression is to be with them, touching them, while they are eating. We've started this young with all of our puppies. While they eat, we pet them and touch them, their paws, the food, their muzzle..we keep our hands in contact with them and their food while they eat. We did this for the first few weeks..and now none of our dogs are protective over their food..which is great as we have kids running around now!

Since your dog is older..I wouldn't recommend immediately sticking your hand in his bowl! Start by petting him for a few moments while he is eating/growling(haha)..and increase the time you are doing it each time he eats. Once he will eat and ignore your hand on him, put your hand on the side of the bowl and leave it there. Don't move it. After he is okay with that, lay your hand in the food..by then, he should be much more tolerant.

We rescued our Boxer and she had serious food aggression when we got her..we did the above and now she is fine with anyone going near her bowl while eating.

Definitely don't spray your dog with vinegar..so many things can be taught without those types of training methods. You just need the patience to follow through.

Remember to start off easy...good luck!

Our Pack

Hailey-Boxer dob 3/26/06
Kylie-GSD dob 8/24/07
Blitzen-GSD dob 2/4/13
Bandit + Tigger-our cats

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page