What are some really high value treats for training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
Sri
Master Member

What are some really high value treats for training?

I have been using zuke's mini naturals, Bil Jac's liver bits(?) and once in a while deli lunch meat. We feed our puppy Royal Canin kibble with a tablespoon of warmed canned food(Blue Buffalo Lamb) mixed in. It seems to like it this way. Please let me know if there are any issues with this.

I would really love suggestions on what would be high value treats for it for training/ good behavior rewards purposes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Knighted Member

Cut up stew meat or beef - great for training
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 11:58 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
Cut up stew meat or beef - great for training
I second this.
Bought a cheap cut of beef, dropped it in boiling water just to take off the raw edge, because I don't want to be handling raw while out of the house.
I cut it into tiny cubes and froze them.
Easy to defrost when needed.
Works great!.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 12:33 PM
Knighted Member

I feed it raw - like that better

Easier to freeze slightly first before you chop up into smaller cubes.
Cutting some up before heading out to the club today...this is how it looks:

Good stuff!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

For quick and easy keeps well don't have to worry about refrigerating, I have been using these. They are easy to break in smaller bits and the dog seems to REALLY like them.

Wellness WellBites Lamb & Salmon Recipe Natural Dog Treats

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 01:14 PM

I wish I developed a better food drive with Sylar from the start at 8 weeks.

With that said when searching for training treats in the beginning I tried just about every quality treat available. I wasnít able to really get the response I was looking for with treats at mainstream pet stores. (Although) the best responses I got where with Pet Botanic rolls. I then tried AS A TEST hot dogs, cheese, bacon, and meats. (Keep in mind this was just testing for responses as bacon is high in fat and can affect the pancreases and cheese is high in calcium which can affect bone growth).

What I found that works best is exactly what gbchottu and Sunflower recommends. We use small cut up beef cubes that we freeze. I slightly cook mine before freezing as I rather not handle raw food when training and less messy when it de-thaws. This is what worked the best for me (in distractive areas). More importantly the treats are more malleable and donít break apart as easy which really helps luring the dog into a position.

Sylar - GSD - DOB: 12/18/2012

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 01:35 PM
Elite Member

I use these venison and wild brush tail treats I get from this specialty store. He goes nuts for them. I second what nancy said about the well ness salmon treats too. Dehydrated raw has worked well too. He loves the Stella and chewy duck.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

SG1 Valco 'Berlin' Hokschhaus CGCA BA-1 UNJCH HIT TKA TC

(2x) SG1 Rogue 'Tesla' v Huerta Hof AD UNJ HIC TKA TC
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro_Mike View Post
I wish I developed a better food drive with Sylar from the start at 8 weeks.
on.[/SIZE][/FONT]
I'm not sure you can blame this on yourself. I thought it was genetic. Some are more food motivated, others more toy motivated.

Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I understand soft treats are safer when training than dehydrated?
Or is it just that they're quicker to feed and the dog doesn't sit there crunching them?

Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12

Rolf, black German import ♥️ DOB 6-7-2019

Last edited by Sunflowers; 05-04-2013 at 01:56 PM.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
I'm not sure you can blame this on yourself. I thought it was genetic. Some are more food motivated, others more toy motivated.

Someone, correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, I understand soft treats are safer when training than dehydrated?
Or is it just that they're quicker to feed and the dog doesn't sit there crunching them?
Have a funny story about treats and training.

Sylar was about 12 weeks when this happened. We were at puppy classes. We were working with treats to lure dogs for attention. The trainerís assistant (which is very green) noticed that Sylar wasn't eagerly following the food lure. So she came up and said you need a higher quality treat and proceeded to demonstrate how to correctly lure the dog with her treats. Sylar didn't care for the treat so she said "he just needs to taste it". She literally put the treat in Sylarís mouth. She then said "See...that's how it's done.". She turned to walk away and just at that second Sylar spit the treat out clear across the room where another dog ate it!!!

This was about the time the real trainer stepped in and said some dogs just aren't as food motivated. Either way I am still working with what I got and do most training sessions an hour before his meal time.

Sylar - GSD - DOB: 12/18/2012

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

Toys, primarily tug are our primary motivator but I am glad to have food drive because it does help with reps of a new behavior.

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page