Am i giving the right amount of time to my pup - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter

Am i giving the right amount of time to my pup

Hello all

Thankfully i got a cute gsd puppy 5 weeks old. its his 3rd day today. I stay 24/7 home and do self-study. Im waking up early at 6am and then i go to my pup which lies in my backyard. from 6am to 11pm i consistently go to him after every hour or two for 10-15 minutes and sometimes more. I feed him nutrisiously, he plays alot and is happy.

But

As im in so much love with him. Please comment is it the right amount of time im giving him? Note that he stays alone in backyard and play on his own with toys. He also stays alone in night 11pm to 6am
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 01:59 PM
Elite Member

He is alone in the backyard 24.7 except for when you go out there to him? he is also only 5 weeks old?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 02:07 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Hi Tomjane. Where do you live? Five weeks is very very young to be away from his mother and litter mates. Pups should not leave their litter to go to their new homes until they are 8 weeks old.

I'm glad you are making such an effort to spend time with your pup, but best thing to do is to bring him in the house with you. They need to be part of the family - it must be very lonely and scary for him to be outside all by himself at such a young age.

If you are home during the day, then bringing him inside should not be a problem. Get a crate to crate him when you can't watch him, and for him to sleep in at night so he does not chew on furniture and does not have potty accidents in the house. Always watch him when he is inside, and take him outside every hour or so to potty. He will learn that he has to potty outside, and with consistant training will let you know when he needs to go out.

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:14 AM Thread Starter

Thanks alot guys for your feedback. Actually it was my mistake that i took him home in that early age. But well as he is home now. So im doing my best, be it my time or money.

Castlemaid, i put him in crate on the very first day and i didnt sleep all the night because he was randomly feeling to go outside to do potty. Therefore, i planned to put him in my backyard. He and his crate is now in backyard, he wanders in green grass and dig for fun when im not around but when i do, almost after every hour. We both play and at 4th day he is now responding perfectly to stop-bitting command.

however, as he is not potty trained yet. so im afraid if i ll put him in my room he will do potty on carpet. Also, please tell me if im going corrctly, im training him 1 command at a time, now its stop bitting. the next will be potty training.

Thanks once again! Love
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:16 AM Thread Starter

yes mandiah89 you got it right
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:18 AM Thread Starter

Pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1367161524_505758487_1-Pictures-of--Pure-German-Shepherd-PupMale-6-weeks-Urgent-Sale.jpg
Views:	2446
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	65146  
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:23 AM

I really wouldn't worry about the biting at this point. Start with potty training so you don't feel the need to keep a 5 week old puppy outside 24/7.. That seems much too young to just be left outside.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 04:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks MiaMoo
But would you like to make it clear to me as if i should stop stop-biting training and start potty-training? And if so, wont it make him confuse?
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Elite Member

Ok heres the thing... the dog is wayyy to young to be outside 24.7 by himself... These dogs want and crave to be with their people and at this young age being outside by himself is A)very scary for him... and B)extremely dangerous! Please bring him in the home right now!

Put his leash on him and tie the leash to you and keep him with you at all times and take him out at least once an hour... when you need to take a break put him in his Kennel. Feed in his kennel and after feeding leave in the kennel for around 25 minuets and then take outside to make sure he goes potty... As for at night, he goes in the kennel, we have ALL been through sleepless nights with our pups but I promise it does get better! Set an alarm and take him out 2 - 3 times a night, I suggest no food or water about 2 hours before bed and take him out before you go to bed and also try to play with him a lot to drain his energy and he will sleep at least for a few hours and then set the alarm and take him out during the night maybe 2 - 3 times (most likely will only need to go twice).

Again I please urge you to bring your pup inside, there are too many risk factors leaving him outside by himself esp during the night as larger animals are likely to prey on him, and there is the huge risk of parasites and disease, and he may eat something that he shouldnt that could kill him or make him very sick. And you say you dont want him inside right now because he is not potty trained, but heres the thing, if he is not inside to learn being outside 24.7 he has no other choice but to potty outside when you want him to come in he does not know that he is not allowed to potty inside, they wont get potty trained by leaving them outside, they need to be in the house and learning, right now they are learning 24.7 and everything you do or dont do has a huge impact on him. Im very afraid for this little dogs life with him being way to young, being left outside and if you want to have a well trained, socialized and healthy well balanced dog I URGE you to bring him inside with you and work hard on the training, if you use the kennel in the way I have instructed with the tethering him to you most of the time to keep an eye on him in a few weeks you will not only have a really strongly bonded dog to you but your going to have a dog that is house broken!

Penny - GSD - 11/11/2012

Diesel - GSD - 03/15/2010 - 11/05/2012

Last edited by mandiah89; 05-03-2013 at 10:25 AM.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Crowned Member

Potty training takes time for certain puppies, patience and perserverance is the key. I agree with leashing his to you and letting him follow you around, he'll learn to bond quickly to you and you'll learn his signals and take him out before accidents hopefully. Take him out at least once a hour unless sleeping. As soon as he's eaten, drank, woke up, or finished playing take him outside immediately

As for the crate, put the crate in the bedroom so they're sleeping with "pack" and therefore safe. Make sure the puppy is good and tired and pottied a few times then put him in the crate, he should fall asleep quickly. Something that may help if he's really fussy is putting him in the crate and sitting in front of it, gently rub his belly and body and wait until he's either asleep or really sleepy then gently close the door of the crate and go to bed. Because he's so young he probably will need to be taken out every 2-3 hours at night for the next few weeks

The biting can be helped with lots of toys of different sizes and textures to encourage him to play with them. Keep a toy in your pocket and when he nips give him the toy and play with it, praise him when he bites the toy rather then you. He'll learn what's appropriate to bite and what's not.

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page