Training with my husband - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:36 PM Thread Starter

Training with my husband

Our puppy (one of the little spuds in the pics) was born on 24Apr and I can't wait for the end of June! It's been 14 years since we've had a puppy (our beloved GSD mix went to the Rainbow Bridge last month.) So there are lots of things to relearn. I'll probably be visiting this site often! My first question is about training. Should my husband and I train together, at the same time, each giving the same commands, or should we do it separately at different times? Or should one person be the prime trainer doing most of the work and the other secondary?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	puppy1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	64466   Click image for larger version

Name:	puppy2.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	70.3 KB
ID:	64474  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Crowned Member

You should both train together and seperately, but mostly together with both taking turns handling the leash. Keep on the same page and it'll be easy. Dogs can have multiple owners and listen to them, though they do seem to always pick their favourite person

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:58 PM
Knighted Member

I think you should train together so you both learn to use the same verbal commands and hand signals.

The problem is, if you want to do classes, some places only allow one handler. We looked around and was able to find a family friendly training facility and encouraged both husband and wife, parent and child, etc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM

I am the trainer and enforcer in our home. I did all our dogs training he just took his ques (loosely) from me and uses the same commands. My husband is the polar opposite of me. I am a type A personality while he just kind of does what ever and rarely gets upset. The dogs look at me as the alpha and him as the Beta. While they respect him they respect me more and look to me for approval when both of us are around. They will listen to him but not like they listen to me. So it is what ever works for you and your husband.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:58 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for your advice! I will look for a family friendly trainer because I want to take the pup to classes. I was worried training together would be confusing to the pup, but your ideas make sense. We don't to do any dog sports; we want a companion and burglar alarm. But I really want a STRONG recall on this pup. Our recently lost and sorely missed GSD had no recall whatsoever (he flunked the final! ) and had to be a leash dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page