How to handle: 6 month old jumping/nipping me - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:03 PM Thread Starter

Unhappy How to handle: 6 month old jumping/nipping me

Non-GSD, but highly active and full of drive Duck Toller! She's a handful, and this forum is a godsend! I havent found anything specific like this in searches... Wonder what you guys think.

My girl is 6 months old coming up on Monday. She is not spayed. In the past several weeks she has started a behavior I am not having much success in redirecting. Usually it happens during some play, or after play.

For instance, this morning, we were doing "fetch" outside on a long line. She LOVES fetch... But out of the blue, she drops her toy and starts coming for me. Jumping, nipping, barking. Thankfully she's only 28lbs. I do not care for this behavior one bit. Nothing works for me... I've tried to ignore it (this is rather difficult to do as she is quite demanding and I"m not up for being bit and my clothes getting torn up) - I've tried grabbing her scruff and shaking. I've tried pinning to the ground until she settles. I've tried redirecting (hard to do as she's trying to get me). I've tried to get her to "Sit"... Instead she whirls around jumping and spinning and doing her best to stay away from me.

Thankfully having her on the line is helpful. I reel her in best I can and usually the only option at this point is to haul her up and make her settle on my lap for 5-10 minutes. Usually this does the trick.

I really really really want to do the right thing here, I just do not know what the right thing is. I do not like negative training at all, I would prefer I could deal with this is some positive manner but am unsure how to get there.

After she settles on my lap for 5-10 mins, she's fine. This might happen 1-2 a day, or maybe not at all for several days. I was half wondering if it is OVERSTIMULATION for her, and a settle is what she needs?

Help please, I am open to all solutions. Thank you.

(We start formal obedience classes next week, YAY! She is pretty well trained but we need socialization)

~ ~ ~ Melissa, Emme (A Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever!), and 4 Cats ~ ~ ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM
Crowned Member

Have you been working at all on a "wait" command? For instance when she eats do you make her pause before releasing her to eat? Or waiting at the door before charging through it?

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Yes Shanna, she has a very good wait! She is never allowed to charge in or out - always sits first. At this point it is quite cute and she does it all the time... even new doors! She is very polite with that. I also make her wait politely 4 feet away while I get her food ready in the morning, and she only gets to go eat it when I give the "OK".

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:15 PM
Crowned Member

OK, do you use it while playing fetch?

Shanna

My Pack:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:17 PM Thread Starter

I do some "wait" when we are doing fetch - I should do it more I think. I always make her sit before I throw, but it is likely time to work wait in a lot more often.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:29 PM
Crowned Member

Delgado still does leak drive with the flirt pole, last night we went out to the backyard and as I was walking down the steps he jumped for the pole I was holding in my hand and punched me in the stomach with his paw by accident. It's been months since he's done that, the "wait" command has been great for that.

I'll use "wait" and he'll settle in a sit or down, then when I say "ready" he'll perk up but keep position until I tell him to "get it" and he'll leap up and grab it. It's broken down into steps because he would do the same as your puppy and that's what I found worked best for capping the energy in a good way.

Shanna

My Pack:

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Hmmm very good insight. I am going to work on integrating WAIT and READY when we are fetching/playing. Oh puppies....

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Crowned Member

LOTS of patience I never had to deal with a landshark but his impulse control was hard to harness until I figured out how to

Shanna

My Pack:

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-01-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

We did some "Wait" today at lunch break. Boy she catches on fast! Hopefully it'll help.

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 10:06 PM

stop pinning the dog. I know some people advocate this, but it destroys the bond in many dogs (not all, but most) GSDs can be crazy pups, I know ours was.

For jumping. Pick a command, specific to the jumping. Give it when the dog is getting ready and give it a slight knee to the chest, if your knees aren't at the level where it will land on the dogs chest (like me) then just the foot. Don't whack her, just enough to let her know it wont be tolerated. Do it every time, and avoid using your hands all together. The jumping thing can become a game to the dog, e.g.. when I jump, i get the masters hands on me. After a few days of this the dog will really start to hesitate about jumping.

Biting. Get a word for this problem as well. Get a small spray bottle, fill it with water and a capful of vinegar. When they bite, give the command, spray.

for both problems, if you give the command and they respond instantly. Lots of very calm slow praise. we don't want to excite the dog all over again right?

For the OB stuff, at that age don't expect perfection already from your pup. Find a good training program and stick with it. Try leerburg or don sullivans perfect dog. I like dons program, thats what I use, but leerburgs method is equally effective, I just think its more geared towards competition trainers that spend ALOT more time training their dogs than I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page