How will a Full time job and a new puppy mix? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

How will a Full time job and a new puppy mix?

Hi everyone, I'm expecting to get a GSD puppy in a couple of months but I am concerned about its training and socialization. I have a full time job and can't get away in the middle of the day to take them out while potty training and such. I was wondering if others dealt with this issue and how you handled it?

Also, would doggy daycare be a good option?so they are socialized and taken care of while I'm at work? My Boyfriend has a 9 year old chihuahua/terrier mix and he did not do a good job at socializing her. Now she does not like other dogs and growls and snaps at them. I'm concerned she will be this way around the pup and "traumatize" it a bit. Am I overeating and worrying too much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 03:25 PM
Knighted Member

You do what is neccesary for the puppy.

You won't get much sleep for the first few weeks, but at least it's warmer now than a couple of months ago.

Make sure the crate is small enough so she won't go in it. She'll still go for a short while until she understands that she has to be near or in it in her crate if she does. It usually clicks with GSD's not to mess in their crates. Every dog is different regarding how long they are able to hold it, but very young pups don't hold it well at all. Three or four months and bladder control greatly improves.

You'll be playing a lot, a training, or actually teaching the puppy what to do and not to do when this young.

Puppies eat, sleep, play, and poop at this age and not much else. The great part is you get to spend every waking hour with her to form the bond that you need to have with your dog.

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

::-D :
That is very encouraging!
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 04:00 PM
Knighted Member

I don't know what it's like to have a puppy and not have to go to work full time, I can only hope someday I'll be a stay at home dog mom. I can tell you it does get fustrating, but once you get into a routine it's better. I get up extra early so I have plenty of time to exercise the dogs, then they are more content and spend most of the day sleeping.

Carolyn
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
Wolfen - WGSD 12/31/14
Bull -WGSD 2-10-10
💔
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02 - 6/9/15
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04 -12/19/25
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 04:14 PM
Crowned Member

for a young puppy, I wouldn't suggest doggie day care. Most wont even allow the puppy until ALL shots are done.

Hire a dog walker to come a couple times a day to let your puppy out to potty and play for a little bit so he can get some energy out.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 PM

I'm lucky ... my boy gets to come to work with me. But once you get past the first hectic month or so, you will be fine.

Just be sure to pay extra attention to socializing your pup after work when it gets a bit older. So far, my dog has been to the bank, the auto parts store, the hardware store, the local bar, any restaurant with a patio, walked downtown during events, and been over to all of my friend's houses who have dogs (and had them come visit on his turf too). Of course all of this was after he got his final round of shots.

Until they get the final round of shots, just socialize the pup with people when you can. Get up early and play with them so they're tired out and ready to go to sleep. And it will be necessary to have someone let them out during the day when they're small. My guy could barely hold it for ten minutes after eating or drinking when I first got him!

Also, maybe try to get the pup just before a weekend where you can take a couple of extra days off work and get him used to the new surroundings...
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 04:43 PM
Elite Member

It's totally possible! If you have someone to come let your pup out a few times during the day while you're at work that's usually sufficient. I'd be cautious about doggy daycare unless you're very familiar, certainly not until after full immunization (exactly when that is seems to be a hotly debated topic here so take that as you will). Not all doggy daycares are created equal; some are just crate time away from home, others are all-out brawls, and some are nicely controlled playgroups like we imagine.

I've always had new puppies while employed. They won't love you any less as long as you give them the time you have. And try to convince your boss to allow puppy visits! :P

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 04:57 PM Thread Starter

:-)
I feel like I waited so long for "the right moment" and the longer I waited the busier I got.

Thank you for your input and encouragement.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
for a young puppy, I wouldn't suggest doggie day care. Most wont even allow the puppy until ALL shots are done.

Hire a dog walker to come a couple times a day to let your puppy out to potty and play for a little bit so he can get some energy out.
I agree with this very much!

Lincoln - 12/30/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page