Best time to start trialling - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Best time to start trialling

Hi all,

I am just wondering what you all think is the best age to start trialling your dog in obedience?

My GSD is 6 months old and I am thinking of starting trialling him in December/ January in the CCD (community companion dog here is Australia is the first title you can go for) He is very stable and has a lovely nature and I am thinking if he continues to improve he may be ready to go by then. I don't expect great things but thought why not.

People have told me though I shouldn't think of trialling him till he's at least 2.

Also wondering if anyone know of people who do private obedience trialling training in Sydney, so I can test my dog first before entering and learn some ring craft experience?

Thanks Candace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 07:54 PM
Elite Member

You can start whenever you want, but...most wait until they are two. I think their little brains work better by then.

Max Von Zahnderhaus -CGC- DOB 2/14/2012
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tim the Collie- RN -DOB 4/01/2010
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2013, 11:18 PM

Candace- I entered my GSD in her first trial last weekend (she is 1 yr) and she did much better than I expected...BUT there were definite draw backs for me having such a young dog. This is only my case, story and opinion but Sadie was very easily distracted and initially she was a bit stressed. Those would be my 2 concerns with such a young pup, but yours may have a much better attention span than my Sadie I would keep up the training and realistically enter when you're ready, just know your expectations. I knew Sadie and I weren't going to win I just thought of it as "we've gotta start somewhere". Whatever you decide good luck!! Keep us posted

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys! I don't expect to go fantastic on the first go I am sure my nerves will be shot but if he keeps going as well as he is now I think I will give it a go at the end of the year.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2013, 05:09 PM
Master Member

I start Rally training and trialing about 1 year old. Obedience trialing is whenever they are ready, of course.

"And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page