Potty Training Help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Potty Training Help

My little guy just turned three months, and we've been trying to potty train him since the day he came home. We take him out almost every hour on the dot, but he'll still have accidents right in front of us. When he does, we put him in his crate only if we catch him in the act. If we don't, we'll show the spot to him, scold him a little, and take him outside. Every time he goes outside, we praise him like crazy and give him a treat. However, it still doesn't seem like he's progressed at all. Help please?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM

Try tethering him to you so that you will always see him when he starts to go. If he is attached to your hip he won't have time to have accidents because he is also within your eyesight. If someone is not able to be watching him put him in his crate. Learn the signs of when he has to go, sniffing the ground, looking for a good place to go. As soon as you see these scoop him up, run outside, set him on the grass and the praise like crazy when he goes outside. Don't give him the opportunity to fail. If he goes inside its your fault for not catching him in time, not his, so scolding him and putting him in his crate is not going to do you much good.

You could also try bell training him. Where you tie a bell to the door and make the puppy ring it every time you take him out to go potty says "Lets go potty!" or whatever you say. The problem with this method is that the puppy very quickly learns the ringing the bell means he gets to go outside and play! We took the bell at our house after about 2 days. I couldn't take the constant ringing! there are several good threads on here about teaching it if that is something you want to try though.

Just hang in there. He is still a puppy, and GSD are very smart dogs, he will catch on soon!

Jade BN CGC- 05/06/12

“Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:45 PM
Elite Member

You shouldnt crate him when you catch him in the act, you take him immediately to his spot outside, even though he already peed, and then you go back inside. Same routine as if he actually peed. Every potty should be associated with the outdoors, even if it already occurred (but obviously not if you find it like 10 minutes later)

If you didnt catch him you don't scold him. He doesn't know better.

Are you going out the same door every time you go out to potty, does he have a bell or something he can signal you with?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 06:56 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mego View Post
Are you going out the same door every time you go out to potty, does he have a bell or something he can signal you with?
yes, we take him out the same door each time. it's a little difficult keeping an eye on him because of our other dog in the house. i guess i'm also a little impatient with him since we got our other dog at an older age and she was potty trained much quicker. i'll try to be more patient with him and try out the tethering thing. hopefully the other dog won't take advantage of his lack of freedom and mess with him more
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 11:40 AM

I have a 9 week old boy, and we are staying in a hotel for the next month due to hubby's job. It's been very stressful because I don't want him pottying in the hotel room. However, the small space seems to be working for us because we see him at all times. We can't use a crate because the whining would get us in trouble, so I've been barricading him with things like suitcases in whatever area I'm in. The area is definitely bigger than a crate, so he could technically potty in one part of his play area, but what I do is put his toys in there. If he stops playing with his toys, and doesn't go to sleep or lay down, then I take him out to potty. I carry him out because I don't want him to potty anywhere but where he's designated to potty at. When he's done, I pick him back up and carry him back in. At night, he's barricaded next to my bed and he whines every 2-3 hours and we do the same thing. He potties every time. Just yesterday and today, he has started whining during the daytime and I took him out and he pooped. He hasn't whined during the daytime to pee yet though, but he's only 9 weeks.
What I would do if I wasn't lucky enough to have 5 suitcases to barricade him with, lol, is I would buy one of those baby coral things. (They're sturdy plastic and can be configured to differed sizes and shapes, and can be moved to wherever you are) The tethering would work too, but if you're worried about your other dog messing with him, the coral would keep them separated. I would put lots of toys and chewies in there, and then watch for any change in behavior. My dog, Barron, doesn't really sniff around. He just gets really still while he's walking around, lol.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:03 PM

A crate should be his safe space and not used to punish him for doing the wrong thing. He will learn to hate his crate instead of liking it and wanting to be in it. If he cannot be with you and in eye sight he should be in his crate which should be sized down so he only has room to sleep and get up and turn around. Right before he goes into crate a potty is a must no matter if it takes 2 mins or 2 hours he MUST potty before the crate same thing for after the crate go straight outside nothing in between carry him if you must, and he has to go 2 mins or 2 hours. As soon as he is done playing potty, as soon as he is done eating potty. Do not take him outside and NOT let him potty he MUST potty every time OUTSIDE.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2013, 12:12 PM

My GSD pup is 8 weeks tomorrow and we've only had him since Sunday. With all these posts I now understand about every 15 mins. or so take him out to potty. But at night when I crate him and take him out to potty late he pants pretty heavy so I give him water. But I dunno if I really should at that time of night. Not sure what to do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page