Am I doing this properly? Jumping up on things - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Am I doing this properly? Jumping up on things

My girl jumps up on the table and people a bit.

I have just started to ignore her when she jumps up on things and make sure she can't get anything. If she does manage to take something I take it off her straight away.

When she gets off the table I give her praise and a treat.

Is this the way to resolve the problem or am I missing something?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdemack View Post
When she gets off the table I give her praise and a treat.

Be very careful that she isn't thinking you are praising her for getting on the table. She might think, "If I jump up here, I get a treat!" So she jumps up and gets down for her treat.

Be sure to have one word that will mean to her to get off. Pretend you use "Off". If she jumps up on someone..."Off!" If she jumps on the table..."Off!" If she jumps up on the couch..."Off!"

Make sense?

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 02:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
Be very careful that she isn't thinking you are praising her for getting on the table. She might think, "If I jump up here, I get a treat!" So she jumps up and gets down for her treat.

Be sure to have one word that will mean to her to get off. Pretend you use "Off". If she jumps up on someone..."Off!" If she jumps on the table..."Off!" If she jumps up on the couch..."Off!"

Make sense?
Yeah, I do use that word but she continues doing it as she is not getting any correction for it, not sure how to do this as she does not like being pushed off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:24 PM

We have this problem, too. My trainer recommended putting double sided tape on the edge of the counter. I haven't tried it yet..still doing what you are by saying 'off' but thought I'd offer the suggestion. Don't know how well it will work as I haven't tested it yet.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdemack View Post
Yeah, I do use that word but she continues doing it as she is not getting any correction for it, not sure how to do this as she does not like being pushed off.
I have a Texas Blue Lacy. He is like a pogo stick. He can be at a stand still and pop right up on the counter/table/sink/lap/person's head etc. I struggled a bit with determining the best way to teach him NOT to jump up on things, unless I asked him to.

So - I have three seperate commands; "Load" which means get into or on to. "Load" into his crate. "Load" up on the picnic table. "Load" into the truck bed. Once he was in/on, I'd treat. Next, I'd ask him to "Wait". In the beginning it was just for a brief moment. Just long enough for him to realize there was a pause. As he improved, I'd increase the time of "Wait". Then I'd give him the command "Off". That means for him to get off of, or get out of the object. Then I'd treat.

I'd go everywhere looking for the opportunity to "Load / Wait / Off". At the feed store it was on feed sacks (he's 40 lbs). At the park it was picknic tables. Lawn furniture. People's laps. The couch, bed, chairs etc. Never anything that he wasn't allowed to jump on like the kitchen table or counters. As his balance improved it was smaller surfaced object where he really had to focus on what he was doing. Stools. Pots turned upside down.

When he would jump on something without being asked, he doesn't get a treat. So if he did jump up on the counter, I'd say "Off" & turn and walk away. He'd come down and run to me looking for a treat. I didn't ask him to, he doesn't get a treat.

It just clicked in his head. "Off" without a treat is a correction. Doesn't get a treat. But "Off" when asked is a command and gets a treat. Now he'll actually go up to an object, turn and look at me. It is as if he's saying, I can "Load"...can I? Will I get a treat? If I don't ask him to, he'll walk away and look for something else to do.

For my dog, the trick was to practice, practice, practice. Every opportunity that I had we did it. Even if it was as we were walking by. We still do it - as he is a drivey dog - but I may not treat until the scenario is complete.

He hasn't jumped up on the counter/kitchen table in months.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page