Puppy not a people person?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Puppy not a people person?!

Hi all!

So Stella has been in training for 3 weeks now we do day training at the kennel that I work at. She really has blossomed and become a wonderful dog! I still can't believe how smart she is, I feel everyday she learns something new! She knows sit, stay, down, climb (on elevated surface **My Favorite**), Spin, Tiwst (where she goes between my legs), touch and is beginning to really learning heel.

Now the problem I am having is at work when I have her out on her "climb" she is perfect lets everyone pet her and loves it. When we are out places she is confident and loves to be out BUT the moment someone she doesnt know tries to pet her she tries to hide and wants no part of it. Now I am ok with her not running up to people everytime she see someone but, I would like the option for people to pet her if I feel it is ok. I have tried giving them treats to give her and she just takes it and is over the person lol. I literally take her everywhere and have done alot of socialization with her its like she has no interest in other people besides my husband and I and of course her trainer with all the cookies!

Anyone have similar experiences or advice?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 PM
dOg
Elite Member

How old?
GSD's are notorious for being aloof to strangers, and as long as she isn't reactive,
or fearful I wouldn't worry too much about it. Expect good behavior rather than worry, as if you worry, it's like praying for what you don't want. I wouldn't push it on her especially if she reacts fearfully. Just keep moving, and hope she gets over it. When good reactions occur, praise lavishly!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 09:54 PM
Knighted Member

Our dog is kind of like this. She is only nice to people she knows. This means people that she has seen at least 2-3x that have spent some time with me while she is around. Our dog is generally independent, not a cuddler, likes to be near us but not next to us.

Your dog sounds OK to me, nothing abnormal, she is not a Lab.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dOg View Post
How old?
GSD's are notorious for being aloof to strangers, and as long as she isn't reactive,
or fearful I wouldn't worry too much about it. Expect good behavior rather than worry, as if you worry, it's like praying for what you don't want. I wouldn't push it on her especially if she reacts fearfully. Just keep moving, and hope she gets over it. When good reactions occur, praise lavishly!
She is 19 weeks as of this week. She is not reactive at all just trys to move away from them! She very much so hates to be bothered when she is working lol. We took her to Bass Pro just to have her out and about around alot of people! I had her doing some basic sits and downs to keep her attention on me and she HATED when people gawked at her she was like "I am working please go away!" I'll just try and keep her moving. I would rather her be around people and see that they wont bother her rather than people mess with her and her have a bad experience.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen View Post
Our dog is kind of like this. She is only nice to people she knows. This means people that she has seen at least 2-3x that have spent some time with me while she is around. Our dog is generally independent, not a cuddler, likes to be near us but not next to us.

Your dog sounds OK to me, nothing abnormal, she is not a Lab.
Stella is the same. If she has seen the person a few times she is ok with them. She would much rather most people besides myself not touch her lol. I guess this is better than me having to pull her off people!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 01:16 AM
Elite Member

IMO a pup that is shying or pulling away from other people CAN be a sign of nerves, could also be going through a fear stage or she could just dislike strangers handling her. If she does not enjoy strangers handling her do not force that upon her because that CAN create fear reactivity later in life. You got a GSD not a doodle.
I would not allow any strangers to pet her and if she continues to shy then start having people she doesnt know offer her treats WITHOUT petting her.

Bastian the Beast

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg1 View Post
IMO a pup that is shying or pulling away from other people CAN be a sign of nerves, could also be going through a fear stage or she could just dislike strangers handling her. If she does not enjoy strangers handling her do not force that upon her because that CAN create fear reactivity later in life. You got a GSD not a doodle.
I would not allow any strangers to pet her and if she continues to shy then start having people she doesnt know offer her treats WITHOUT petting her.
That's exactly why I am not to worried! I see doodles everyday at work and it kind of makes me GLAD she doesnt really like people! I just tell people she isnt really a people person and move on. Like you said I don't want it to create a fear reactivity later in life so I normally just try and avoid the touching aspect and take the compliments and move on.

If we are walking next to people she is fine. She doesnt try and shy away then, its only when they reach out to touch her!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Knighted Member

This book is a good resource:

On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas

You can see if people are approaching in a rude manner according to dog language.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-19-2013, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Awesome! I will definitely check this out!!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page