Suggestions on preventing running up to people and other dogs to play - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

Suggestions on preventing running up to people and other dogs to play

It's very hard to stop her from doing this and she will really pull on the lead. Sometimes I use a squakey toy and that works but it's kind of embarassing trying to control her this way.

She has been well socialized, hence the problem.

Has anyone any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Crowned Member

I found that turning fast - changing directions works to keep my Sting's attention. I also don't allow him to run up to others - he has to sit/stay - even if I have to stand in front of him (I use treats to reward). If someone wants to pet him. I ask the person to wait. I first have Sting sit/stay - then I say "okay you can meet him" - then Sting goes up the person. If I don't think the person is someone Sting likes, I just say - "sorry, he isn't friendly " and keep going.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:17 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdemack View Post
It's very hard to stop her from doing this and she will really pull on the lead. Sometimes I use a squakey toy and that works but it's kind of embarassing trying to control her this way.

She has been well socialized, hence the problem.

Has anyone any ideas on how to resolve this?

Thanks.
Don't ever be embarassed about training your dog. You find what works for your dog to change her focus from the trigger (person/dog/both) back to you. You practice, practice, practice. You make it fun. You keep your girl engaged in what you want her to do.

If it's a squeaky toy, or a treat, or you doing the Macarena in the middle of the street - it's what works for you and your dog.

There will be a time when you walk by and your girl doesn't even acknowlege other folks. But ONLY if you keep working on it now.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-18-2013, 02:25 PM

Tips

I don't have trouble with the dog running up on people when I don't want, but rather, I have the problem that people approach the dog when I don't want them to. My Zeus is easy to control until that happens.

When it does happen I tell them the dog's in bite training and that it's dangerous to approach. That cures most of them but for the kids.

I tell them that the dog's just too big at 6 mos. now and that he doesn't know his own strength even though he's friendly. That stops most of them.

But once in a while I'm going to be chatting with someone I meet while walking the dog. In that case, not only do I not want the dog to jump up on someone, but also, I want to have some peace so I can chat. In those cases, I make the dog sit, lay down and step on the leash about 2 ft from the collar.

Works every time, but for a bit of whining if the conversation goes longer than just a couple of minutes.

Step on the leash a short distance from the collar. No jumping possible then.

LF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page