When is a good age? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

When is a good age?

My pup is 9wks old tomorrow... when is a good age to start training? Is it better to train myself? Or send him to classes?

If I train him myself... what are some recommended treats without upsetting his stomach?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

You can start any time. It's better to TAKE him to classes, not send him to classes. Typically classes are an hour a week, so even if you do enroll in a class, you'll be doing the training yourself - the bulk of it at home between classes. I usually train at home on my own for a couple of weeks before starting classes, because we needed to have at least the first two rounds of puppy shots before enrolling.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:28 PM
Crowned Member

agree with Debbie. You can start training at any time. Its best to go to classes WITH your dog so you both learn and your pup learns to listen to you and look to you for guidance.

as far as treats go, you can use your pups food. Just portion it out so some is used for actual meals and some is used for treats. If you want to branch out, there's really any number of things you can try.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 PM

Yes you can start going now. I would go to classes. I thought that I needed to wait and so I did until Dante had all of his vaccinations at 4 mos. When my trainer told me that we could have started at 8 weeks I was bummed because I felt like we had really missed out.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 08:57 PM
Banned

training starts when you pick your dog up. riding in the car,
potty training, crate training. my dog was in a puppy class
at 10 weeks old (after his 2nd round of shots). when he was
4 months old OB started. before OB it very basic training, crate
trained, house broken at 11 or 12 weeks, he knew his name,
working on come. i don't remember what else he knew before
OB classes but when OB started things just took off. one year
after starting OB he was trained. two years after starting OB
he was very well trained.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Master Member

I'd start training now and get him enrolled in training too. It's typical a 6 week course you go to for an hour once a week.

There are loads of treats to use for training. I switch between kibble (take some from a breakfast/lunch/dinner portion and train with it piece by piece and larger quantities as jackpot rewards), pet botanic's beef training rewards (200 for ~$2), hebrew national hot dogs cut up into pea size amounts and, plato's freeze dried salmon broken up into smaller pieces.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
training starts when you pick your dog up. riding in the car,
potty training, crate training. my dog was in a puppy class
at 10 weeks old (after his 2nd round of shots). when he was
4 months old OB started. before OB it very basic training, crate
trained, house broken at 11 or 12 weeks, he knew his name,
working on come. i don't remember what else he knew before
OB classes but when OB started things just took off. one year
after starting OB he was trained. two years after starting OB
he was very well trained.
Forgive my seemingly stupid question, but what is the difference between basic training and OB training?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:02 PM

I agree completely with Doggiedad! Training begins the second you pick your puppy. Your interaction with your puppy in puppyhood has a drastic impact in the dog that he will be.

Puppy classes taught at mainstream pet stores usually accepts puppies at 10 weeks to 5 months of age. If you are looking at mainstream pet stores for socialization I recommend you call several of them as trainers are not always equal. Good questions to ask them is the amount of experience they have, if they own dogs what breeds, how many dogs are currently enrolled in the puppy class and etc..

When my puppy was between 8 – 10 weeks I took every chance to introduce him to family member pets that were current on vaccinations and dog friendly. Sylar meet a GSD, Chihuahua, Puggle, Fox Terrier, Cats, Black Lab and etc. Also take advantage of introducing your puppy to people as well. GSD grow up fast but when they are a puppy no one can resist petting them. This changes quickly as you will find many people are afraid of larger dogs and as I said GSD grow fast.

Most important thing in training I wish I focused on more was attention and building a better food drive at an early age. Attention is so important. Finally keep things positive and have fun with your puppy. They grow up way to fast.

Sylar - GSD - DOB: 12/18/2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Master Member

I got her at 14 weeks started at about 19 weeks. I let her get settled, then started taking her to classes which I practiced at home everyday.wanted to minimalize the stress and she excelled tremendously

Tom

Penny - 9/7/12 (GSD)

Abbi -5/9/09-12/7/12 (GSD)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro_Mike View Post
I agree completely with Doggiedad! Training begins the second you pick your puppy. Your interaction with your puppy in puppyhood has a drastic impact in the dog that he will be.

Puppy classes taught at mainstream pet stores usually accepts puppies at 10 weeks to 5 months of age. If you are looking at mainstream pet stores for socialization I recommend you call several of them as trainers are not always equal. Good questions to ask them is the amount of experience they have, if they own dogs what breeds, how many dogs are currently enrolled in the puppy class and etc..

When my puppy was between 8 – 10 weeks I took every chance to introduce him to family member pets that were current on vaccinations and dog friendly. Sylar meet a GSD, Chihuahua, Puggle, Fox Terrier, Cats, Black Lab and etc. Also take advantage of introducing your puppy to people as well. GSD grow up fast but when they are a puppy no one can resist petting them. This changes quickly as you will find many people are afraid of larger dogs and as I said GSD grow fast.

Most important thing in training I wish I focused on more was attention and building a better food drive at an early age. Attention is so important. Finally keep things positive and have fun with your puppy. They grow up way to fast.
Any idea how GOOD mainstream training is? I really want home to learn, and I'm willing to make the time and put in the dedication to him following my commands as well as him being a well mannered and respected/admired dog.

Which is why I was considering doing the training myself... any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page