Crate Training? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

Crate Training?

Hello Everyone, I am bran new to this forum....We just got an 8 week old Sable German Shepherd puppy on saturday.. Today was the first day we introduced him to the crate... I put a bunch of toys and a bone in there for him.. At first he was calm and just focused on his bone, but once he realized he was in a crate he started to freak out.. What are the best ways to go about crate training? Thank you all for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:05 AM

Hello, I'm new here too, my pups 12 weeks and I introduced him the first day I got him, like you at 8 weeks. I didn't leave any toys in the crate for him though. He initially freaked out and whined so I turned on some music to help distract him and ignored him for a few hours. After that initial shock and my lack of interest in his whining (which was hard as I felt bad for him) he gained to accept the crate and fell asleep. I also read and found feeding him in the crate makes him more comfortable and accept it.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:12 AM

Smile

I also introduced my pup to his crate the day we bought him home at 8 weeks old. I initially left the crate out with the family and left the door open and encouraged him to go in and sleep when he got tired. I also fed him in his crate so he knew it was "his area". He did whine a wee bit the first couple of nights especially but he soon learnt that when he was put in there it wasn't forever and he would be let back again!!
He now knows when the tv and lights go off at night time and i start towards the bedroom that its bed time and he happily follows me to my room and puts himself in his crate
just make it as positive of a place as possible and they soon learn.
Our 7yo staffy is also crate trained and he puts himself in their when the kids of the puppy annoy him too much... its his safe zone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 03:51 AM

We got pup at 8 weeks old put a pigs ear and some toys in there but left the door open for him to explore it and didn't end up shutting it until nighttime he was great he whined for maybe 2 minutes then that was over now he sleeps in it anytime I put him in there which is usually only at night or if I have to go to the store with no problems

However on the other hand it all depends in the dog some are better than others for example our past dog a Dobermann hated his crate so much he ate the bedding, plastic floor and broke through the side of the medal cage he never was crated as a pup though I got him at 7 months he was too "crazy" by then to accept it lol but your pup is only 8 weeks so it should be fine just ignore puppy when they whine and don't ever let them out when they are whining wait until they are quiet or they may learn to whine to get out

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Argos Von Janzhaus - Autism Service Dog

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-29-2013, 12:08 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Great tips and hints ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...uppy-cage.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page