When to stop crate? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

When to stop crate?

My husband asked me when will I stop crating our 15 weeks old at night?

Lincoln has been left alone at home during the day outside the crate. Either me or husband will go home during lunch to feed him and let him out. He has been good in the pass two weeks. But at night we still crate him in our bedroom. So when my husband asked why do we have to crate him at night when he doesn't have to be crated during the day while we are gone? and I don't know what's the answer. My feeling is he will be wandering around and wake us up all night if he is out. But that is my guess since I never try. I also feel like he is not completely housebroken just because he is so young.

Am I being paranoid? Is it possible for a 15 weeks old to be completely housebroken??

Lincoln - 12/30/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 01:54 PM
Knighted Member

I did have a GSD that was completely house broken at that age. In fact, he refused to go anywhere BUT his own yard. Interesting at 7 months when he was neutered and stayed over night ... he held it until he got home poor guy. I didn't crate him at night, but he would crate himself when he got tired and ready for bed. He went in and somehow hooked a paw on the gate and pulled it to, then moaned and groaned as he got comfortable in his crate to sleep. So much for my trying to get him to sleep with me on the bed!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
I did have a GSD that was completely house broken at that age. In fact, he refused to go anywhere BUT his own yard. Interesting at 7 months when he was neutered and stayed over night ... he held it until he got home poor guy. I didn't crate him at night, but he would crate himself when he got tired and ready for bed. He went in and somehow hooked a paw on the gate and pulled it to, then moaned and groaned as he got comfortable in his crate to sleep. So much for my trying to get him to sleep with me on the bed!
awww that sounds so cute! I forgot to mention. I think he likes the crate less now that he has all that freedom during the day. I don't want him to hate the crate. Maybe I should try him out of the crate tonight? Is there any benefit of keep on crating him?

Lincoln - 12/30/12
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Crowned Member

Shasta couldn't be trusted to sleep out of her crate until she was about 9 months old. We tried it a couple times until that point and she always got into trouble. She's almost 3 and has only recently started being home uncrated when we leave the house for short periods of time. Some dogs can be left uncrated from the start with no issues while others cant. It just depends on the dog.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page