Outdoor 8wk old converting to indoor. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:34 AM Thread Starter

Outdoor 8wk old converting to indoor.

My wife and a friend went to look at a womans dog for sell when they were looking at horses. (I was not there ) Well turns out the ladys german shepherds had puppies. And now $300 spent and a Vet visit already scheduled for Tuesday. I learn that the lady left them and mom OUTSIDE all 8 weeks. WOW! I know pups are hard. But really! So now we have a new puppy GSD. LOL what am I going to do with all my girls. LOL

My question is the pup is USED to OUTSIDE living with her sisters and one brother on like 5 acres of property. She is now in a crate. In our closet, with the doors open. But she is crying alot. I know it has not even been 10 hours in her new home. But she seems to like being around or near everyone. Could she be the old fashion type pup that you just carry outside to potty train. And let her be with us all the time. Or is the crate still the best method and will it take her wanting to be with everyone away(our pack)?

I think I kind of feel bad that she was born used to the outdoors and no walls. And now my wife brought her into city living.

She is 8 weeks old. Seams real big and a fat round belly for a girl. LOL real round. LOL Ill try and take pictures tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:40 AM
Crowned Member

I only keep a pup crated when I'm sleeping or can't keep an eye on them or need a break. Otherwise I tether them to me with a leash. This way when they squat to pee or poo you can just scoop them up, take them outside and praise a lot.

Also, I would put the crate next to your bed at night so you can stick your fingers in there to comfort her. That will help her feel more secure.

My dog Chama was also kept outside before I got her. She was very easy to housebreak because she was already used to going outside!

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:42 AM
Knighted Member

She is young enough to make the adjustment with no issues - dogs that have lived in kennels outside all their lives can transition into the home so there is no reason why a 8 week old will have issues learning crate/house rules.

Keep up with crate training. Puppies cry, whine, and fuss in the crate. It will diminish over time as she learns crate training.

The round belly is worrying - get her checked for worms - might need to worm her and get her shots as it sounds like she had less than optimal care at her previous location. A vet visit would be a good idea.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
I only keep a pup crated when I'm sleeping or can't keep an eye on them or need a break. Otherwise I tether them to me with a leash. This way when they squat to pee or poo you can just scoop them up, take them outside and praise a lot.

Also, I would put the crate next to your bed at night so you can stick your fingers in there to comfort her. That will help her feel more secure.

My dog Chama was also kept outside before I got her. She was very easy to housebreak because she was already used to going outside!
THank you. That feels so reassuring. I know she is a puppy. But she is used to the outside. I know she is a dog. But Want to raise her to be a great family member.
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:47 AM
Crowned Member

I agree about the round belly--that's usually a sign of parasites. Did she get dewormed when you took her to the vet?

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 04:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by qbchottu View Post
She is young enough to make the adjustment with no issues - dogs that have lived in kennels outside all their lives can transition into the home so there is no reason why a 8 week old will have issues learning crate/house rules.

Keep up with crate training. Puppies cry, whine, and fuss in the crate. It will diminish over time as she learns crate training.

The round belly is worrying - get her checked for worms - might need to worm her and get her shots as it sounds like she had less than optimal care at her previous location. A vet visit would be a good idea.
LOL some dogs have a outside kennel. THis pup had like 4 or 5 acars. And the lady gave me a printout and the name of the shot meds she gave and the date and what it was for. And some &*$#^ #2 non prescription dewormer. And said the pups were due for another shot in like a week or 2. She gave me a printed contract like thing she made. She also raises horses. So that was the selling point on my wife. But as the Vet in Petsmart said. They dont acknowledge them shots, because they are not given by a vet. LOL I dont know. The vet said that another shot (from the vet) wont effect the pups and the shots the lady gave.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowWowMeow View Post
I agree about the round belly--that's usually a sign of parasites. Did she get dewormed when you took her to the vet?
She is scheduled for the vet on Tuesday

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

*** Oversized pictures removed by ADMIN ***

Last edited by Castlemaid; 04-15-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: max picture size allowed 800 X 600 (posted pics were 3264 X 2448)
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 07:37 AM
Knighted Member

Cute puppy!. She will transition just fine to being in the house. She just has to be trained like any other puppy. Also be aware that if the breeder used feed store vaccinations, the vet may not accept that and want to start the puppy vaccination series all over.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-15-2013, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galathiel View Post
Cute puppy!. She will transition just fine to being in the house. She just has to be trained like any other puppy. Also be aware that if the breeder used feed store vaccinations, the vet may not accept that and want to start the puppy vaccination series all over.
They already informed me of that. The lady on the phone said "because it was not administered by a veterinarian, we do not acknowledge it" I said "will anoth treatment hurt her" the lady said "no" butbin my mind, thats like some mechanics doing a Free checkup on your car, and saying " No sir, your car is perfect. You dont have to pay for anything" but thats just me. ;-)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page