1st time GSD puppy owner (potty training question) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-13-2013, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

1st time GSD puppy owner (potty training question)

This is my first post here, but I have gotten some great tips here while doing some research on raising GSD's so thank you!

I do have a question that I'm hoping some of you may be able to answer. We just got our pup on Thursday morning and she has been great so far with only one accident in the house which was completely my fault, but other than that we have been rather fortunate. She is eating a little, sleeping a lot, and loves the kids! No issues at all with whining or crying at night unless she needs to eliminate which is where I have been having a little issue.

We purchased a 5'x15' outdoor kennel which is set on a concrete slab. Eventually when it warms up some, I plan to put a dog house on the inside of the garage with a doggie door going to the kennel so that when she needs to go we can let her out and she will have access to the kennel. I have no plans of leaving her outside and the kennel was purchased solely for the purpose of going potty. The problem we are having is that it seems eliminating on concrete isn't something she is taking a liking to. Lots of trips back and forth from the indoor kennel crate to the outside kennel. We live in Minnesota and it has been snowing some here the last few days. We shoveled the kennel out the day we brought her home and she held it for about five hours until she finally urinated. She didnt poop until late that evening which was about ten hours after we brought her home. It had snowed about an inch and the few times we went out that night there were no issues and she was quick. I praised her to no end each time, cleaned up all but one poop as a reminder and thought we were already making good progress. Well today we didnt get any snow that accumulated so the kennel is just wet with no snow. She has urinated with no issues, but she has only pooped once all day and that was when I put a couple shovels of snow in there. She hasn't eaten much, but enough that I think she may be holding it now. I don't want to keep putting snow in the kennel, but I don't want to hurt her in any way if that's even possible?? Any tips? I've been consistent and will continue being persistent with it. I really want to get her trained to go in the kennel so my yard and landscaping doesn't have any set backs, but obviously I'm a dog owner now so it probably will take a little more work. Everything I've read says they will go where they are trained so hopefully this is just part of the training...

The breeder had her in a large kennel with wood chips and also allowed her to go in the yard to play with her litter mates the last couple weeks. I don't currently have any wood chips in my kennel, but maybe that is what I should do to start with? If I buy a few bags, do you think I can slowly eliminate them as I clean it up and as she grows a little older?

Thanks for any suggestions and sorry for the long post! I will try getting some pictures up of our pup soon!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:47 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Just be patient with her. I needed Fiona to be able to go on the concrete patio for the days I could not make it down the stairs. It took time, but she will go when she has to do so. However, if I put anything there she will not go. I put a cut lemon out there for odor control and she would not go until I removed it. So what ever you condition her to now, she will want whether it be snow or chips.

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 12:52 AM
Elite Member

OKay it's a little gross but maybe you can leave a poop or two on the patio? If she smells her poop there it might seem like more of a spot. (this might be a horrible idea, but my dog likes to poop and pee in the same general spots, the first spot I set her on the grass the day we brought her home + about a 3 foot radius is where she ALWAYS pees)

you could also buy some of that fake grass they sell for dogs or some sort of rug that's a different texture, or woodchips

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 01:56 AM Thread Starter

I have left one reminder there for her and leave the freshest one sit until the next time she goes. I may try the grass thing you are referring to if all else fails. On a good note, she did just go again so I feel much better now and I made sure she knew how awesome she was! I wish I could find a treat she likes as a reward. I've struck out with several different kinds of training rewards. Hopefully she will take a liking to them at some point! I must have about 5000 treats on hand right now! Lol

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:12 PM

I can tell you right now GSD and most Large breed dogs can be a PAIN to get housebroke, It wont happen in a week nor a month. Me and my girl are 4 months in to this housebreaking thing and she will still pee and poop in the house, not as much but if she wants to theres no stopping her even if I clean it up with cleaner made for it. But shes a lot better about it 85-90% of the time she will go to the door and scratch it to tell me then go out, but sometimes she just does it where she is playing. So you will need a lot of patients house breaking one.

But mine was terrified of stairs till about 3 months old then she conquered her fear, best thing to do is just carry her down them to a spot in the yard every 30 minutes and always take her to that spot so she can potty there, maybe leave 1 or 2 poops in it for the first few weeks so she has the smell there to remind her oh I gotta pee. This is what I had to do to get mine to wanna go. But as a young pup every 30 mins-1 hours you need to take her out. But you may wanna lay artificial turf to put on the concert so it feels like grass. You may have to stand out there for anywhere from 2 mins - 30 mins to get her to go. If you keep taking her out and only giving her 3 mins and she never goes then bringing her back in shes going to think even if I dont potty I can still go back inside, gotta make her learn she has to potty before shes allowed back in. I stood out there for a hour onces with my pup before she decided I will pee now.

My pup only pooped 1 time a day for the first week or 2 I had her, then she started pooped 2-4 times a day.

Hope you have better luck potty training your GSD then I have with mine I am hoping by 6 months mine will be fully house broke with no more accidents.

Athena(Black/Silver) GSD - born 12/15/2012

Last edited by Seth08; 04-14-2013 at 03:15 PM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! I think we are doing everything correctly so far. She is a lot of fun and I'm looking forward to working with her. She is opening up a little more each day. She's doing well with treats today. I am using a clicker and she now looks at me when I click. Stairs are pretty funny to watch, but she's getting better! Going up is easy for her, but she doesn't care to go down them yet. I carry her down them most of the time and usually give her a chance to go down the last couple on her own. The crate training has not been a challenge at all like I thought it would. The only time we hear from her is when she needs to go out. I leave the door open during the day and when she is ready for a nap, she goes in and takes one. What a blessing she has been to each and every member of our family! Well, the cats might not agree with that I guess!

Here are a couple pictures of our baby. Hopefully this will work!

1st time GSD puppy owner (potty training question)-imageuploadedbypg-free1365964059.082485.jpg

1st time GSD puppy owner (potty training question)-imageuploadedbypg-free1365964089.365531.jpg

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:29 PM
Banned

i got my pup when he was 9 weeks old. 11 days later he was house broken. i took him out often and i took him out overnight. i think you
need to review your training method.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth08 View Post

>>>>I can tell you right now GSD and most Large breed dogs can be a PAIN to get housebroke, It wont happen in a week nor a month. <<<<

Me and my girl are 4 months in to this housebreaking thing and she will still pee and poop in the house, not as much but if she wants to theres no stopping her even if I clean it up with cleaner made for it. But shes a lot better about it 85-90% of the time she will go to the door and scratch it to tell me then go out, but sometimes she just does it where she is playing. So you will need a lot of patients house breaking one.

But mine was terrified of stairs till about 3 months old then she conquered her fear, best thing to do is just carry her down them to a spot in the yard every 30 minutes and always take her to that spot so she can potty there, maybe leave 1 or 2 poops in it for the first few weeks so she has the smell there to remind her oh I gotta pee. This is what I had to do to get mine to wanna go. But as a young pup every 30 mins-1 hours you need to take her out. But you may wanna lay artificial turf to put on the concert so it feels like grass. You may have to stand out there for anywhere from 2 mins - 30 mins to get her to go. If you keep taking her out and only giving her 3 mins and she never goes then bringing her back in shes going to think even if I dont potty I can still go back inside, gotta make her learn she has to potty before shes allowed back in. I stood out there for a hour onces with my pup before she decided I will pee now.

My pup only pooped 1 time a day for the first week or 2 I had her, then she started pooped 2-4 times a day.

Hope you have better luck potty training your GSD then I have with mine I am hoping by 6 months mine will be fully house broke with no more accidents.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

I only have one day in the next couple weeks where someone won't be home with her during the day. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone that can come over and let her out that day so she will be in her kennel for about 6-7 hours without being let out.

I'm open to suggestions here, but my plan is to give her space in her kennel that day to relieve herself on a training pad so she isn't forced to use her sleeping space as a bathroom. I don't really know what else to do and I'm not comfortable leaving her in the outdoor kennel all day. I may ask a neighbor, but I don't want to rely on them either. I hope it doesn't set us back too much because she is doing so well with house training. One accident so far which was completely my fault. She held it last night for about four hours before wanting out, but 6-7 hours during the day is a little too much to ask of her at this point.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
i got my pup when he was 9 weeks old. 11 days later he was house broken. i took him out often and i took him out overnight. i think you
need to review your training method.
yeah agreed, our pup also housebroke realllllly fast and I heard just the opposite, that GSDs and herding breeds break faster than other dogs.

Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2013, 05:36 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9Kona View Post
I only have one day in the next couple weeks where someone won't be home with her during the day. Unfortunately, I don't have anyone that can come over and let her out that day so she will be in her kennel for about 6-7 hours without being let out.

I'm open to suggestions here, but my plan is to give her space in her kennel that day to relieve herself on a training pad so she isn't forced to use her sleeping space as a bathroom. I don't really know what else to do and I'm not comfortable leaving her in the outdoor kennel all day. I may ask a neighbor, but I don't want to rely on them either. I hope it doesn't set us back too much because she is doing so well with house training. One accident so far which was completely my fault. She held it last night for about four hours before wanting out, but 6-7 hours during the day is a little too much to ask of her at this point.

Leaving her with a space for that one day is probably good idea. If you don't want to bother neighbors you can maybe offer to pay them 5 bucks and it won't be so annoying to them.

Megan
Lara
(12/14/2012) CGC
Jarvan
(12/25/2015) BH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page